Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 13, 2008, 05:28 AM
    If anyone is interested!
    Hi all,

I just thought if anyone was interested to know, they are having a "Dog Whisperer" Marathon Day, today (Sunday July 13th) on the National Geographic Channel, to whomever has access to that channel. All dogs... all day! They are even throwing in a pot bellied pig, and some hamsters too, LOL! So just thought I would give a heads up to anyone that needs some training or behavioural tips! :)

Today is also my Niki's Birthday... a big 5 yrs old... so we will be watching in between extra play time and birthday treats! :D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 05:35 AM
    I just love that show!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 13, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Me too! I pick up on different things even if I've seen an episode a million times. Niki was attacked by an Akita a few months ago, and required 86 stitches, but I'm sure if I hadn't picked up tips from the dog whisperer, she would have been dead, and I probably would've been attacked too! I love Cesars approach!
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 06:13 AM
    So what did you do to avoid catastrophe, starbuck? Sorry to hear that happened, Akitas have a bad reputation, but you know, it only takes a couple of them to do that.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 13, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Well actually, I didn't know how much I was paying attn to what Cesar was trying to say, but I guess subconciously, it had sunk in. At first I got scared and excited of course, because my fur babe was getting chomped at. Then it just clicked that I needed to calm down to save her and help the other dog, to understand I was in charge I guess.

I got in between the two of them, (could've been a bad move) and kind of puffed myself up and just kept on blocking the Akita with my body and my foot, while I tried my best to stay calm. Niki went and hid under a table, and I ignored Niki, and just kept on blocking the Akita. The Akita finally just surrendered, and walked away.

That is my best recollection anyway. It all happened so fast, so it's kind of hard to explain. Whatever kicked in worked anyway! LOL! I didn't let the Akita think I was scared of her.

The downside is, I now have close to $1500 in vet bills, and I wish I could use my foot to try and make the owner of the Akita responsible for her dog. I said that in the nicest way possible! LOL! A foot up the A$$ is what I really want to say! ;)
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Kind of the same thing happened to my standard schnauzer many years ago (she has since passed, but from old age, god bless her). She was flipped and pinned by a mixed breed, I think mainly shepherd being walked by a young chap. He didn't have control. I panicked my schnauzy(I can attest to that breeds intelligence!) stayed cool because she realized she had to be sumbmissive in order to survive, the dog had her down by the neck. I kicked the other dog to distract and it didn't help. The young guys father came to the rescue but when pulling his dog away, schnauzy's beck got ripped, but she got up and we both walked home, in the c ar and to the vet. She was in shock but didn't need stitches. Then back in the car and directly over to where the other dog lived with me telling them they had to pay the vet bill. There had been many many witnesses. He came over after and paid the $250. And looked at my schnauzy and said, god Im proud, my dog got her down !

Long story.

Sincerely glad your niki is okay.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 13, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Oh doesn't that guy sound like a prize! People like that should not be allowed to be pet owners. Just like some people shouldn't be parents!

When Nik got attacked, I was actually going to a good friends (I thought) B'day party. Her other dog, a shiatzu (spelling?) was standing in the middle of the street, and there were cars coming. I jumped out of my van, and called him, and of course Sammy saw his buddy Niki, and came running. But, the back gate was open, which is how Sam got out of course, and no one was paying attn to the dogs, because they were all celebrating around the firepit in the backyard. Niki had been to my ex friends house a million times, so she just went where Sammy was going, and Jemma, the Akita, was right at the open gate, and just lunged, before I could even blink!

The owner of Jemma wasn't actually my friend, it was her bf's dog, but after the attack, they signed papers and back dated them, saying that the dog belonged to my (ex) friend, because they knew that it would be hard for me to get compensation from my ex friend, and the boyfriend actually has money. It was a shady deal all the way around.

The thing that bothers me the most, is the way Niki has changed since the attack. She used to LOVE other animals. It didn't matter if it was a kitty, or a lizard, or a skunk (a whole other story there, lol) Now she is afraid of other animals, and loud noises scare her, where they didn't before. She is getting a little bit better now, but I don't think she will ever be completely the same as before.

She even has started to show some aggression to certain people now, which worries me. She has become very territorial, where she wasn't before, and she really such a sweet loving dog who just loves everyone!

Like I said before... foot up the..!

Sorry to hear that your little fur babe passed away! :(
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
    I just finished watching a few episodes of the dog whisperer actually! You know what really bothers me? When people's dogs are just running up and down the road. Where I live its not to crowded but almost everyone has a dog, and last night when I took Rex for a walk, a little dog(about 30-40) pounds came running towards us barking and was running up and down the road. This really made me mad because it wasn't the first time it had chased us nor the first time it was on the road. The only thing I could think was, where is his owner and what is he doing on the road. Afraid of the dog being run over I stood in one spot and told the dog in a firm voice to GO HOME. The dog lingered for a moment and then left.

Both of our TV's are occupied now but hopefully I'll be able to watch a few more episodes before the day is over.

By the way Tickle I took your advice and Rex now walks by my side at all times when we go for our nightly stroll. For what I thought would be impossible to train him(because he was bred to pull and not to heel) took only a few days. Mind you its still not down pact and we are still working on it, but I'd say its coming along pretty good.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 13, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    I just finished watching a few episodes of the dog whisperer actually! You know what really bothers me? When people's dogs are just running up and down the road. Where I live its not to crowded but almost everyone has a dog, and last night when I took Rex for a walk, a little dog(about 30-40) pounds came running towards us barking and was running up and down the road. This really made me mad because it wasn't the first time it had chased us nor the first time it was on the road. The only thing I could think was, where is his owner and what is he doing on the road. Afraid of the dog being run over I stood in one spot and told the dog in a firm voice to GO HOME. The dog lingered for a moment and then left.

Both of our TV's are occupied now but hopefully I'll be able to watch a few more episodes before the day is over.

By the way Tickle I took your advice and Rex now walks by my side at all times when we go for our nightly stroll. For what I thought would be impossible to train him(because he was bred to pull and not to heel) took only a few days. Mind you its still not down pact and we are still working on it, but I'd say its coming along pretty good.

I am glad Rex is doing so well hun. Just curious, what ever happened with your bro's dog? Are things better?

I have to go for awhile, but will be back later. I promised Niki, Birthday play time whenever she wants... and it seems she wants... lol!
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Good, Rex123, my samoyed was always good on the lead and always stayed by me no matter what. These (should be) sled dogs are extremely loyal, don't you think ?

We have a lot of acitivty around the towns where I live, several people train and keep Alaskan Malmutes and Siberians and some cross breeds (which are very good trained as for sled). They train them in the summer with special sleds equipped with wheels (must be a fast ride,WooooooHooooooooooooo !)
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    I just finished watching a few episodes of the dog whisperer actually! You know what really bothers me? When people's dogs are just running up and down the road. Where I live its not to crowded but almost everyone has a dog, and last night when I took Rex for a walk, a little dog(about 30-40) pounds came running towards us barking and was running up and down the road. This really made me mad because it wasn't the first time it had chased us nor the first time it was on the road. The only thing I could think was, where is his owner and what is he doing on the road.
    I took Trink for a walk a few days ago, and one of my neighbors had a pug tied out on one of those stakes that screw into the ground. Unfortunately, the soil out here is really sandy, and it's really easy to pull things out. So the dog comes running across the street, yapping away, dragging this large sharp pointy piece of metal after it. I grabbed the leash, because the last thing that I needed was that stake getting anywhere near my dog. A kid (looked to be about 10ish) came over to get the dog, and as he was taking him back to his yard, I could hear him scolding the dog, saying "You know you aren't supposed to pull that out!" And my thought was, of course, "no, he doesn't. That's your job."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is he interested or not? [ 8 Answers ]

I met this guy about a month ago. He's an oncologist so he is VERY busy! We went out on a date a couple of weeks after meeting and the date went well. He was scheduled to have knee surgery the next day and said that he would be recovering for a while but that he would keep in touch. Well, 2...

Is she interested in me? [ 2 Answers ]

Well to start things off I am a 15 year old girl. Okay. So I have this friend who is just great. But the thing is I want to know if she likes me. She always has her holding my hand, kissing me on my cheek and rubbing my back when it does not hurt. One day our other friend named brittany asked us if...

I really like this boy but I'm not sure if he is interested in me [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thirteen years old and I like this guy in my class who is a year older than me.he is a funny and very handsome boy and we are like cool friends.he occasionally likes to hug me and lift me (like how a bride carries a groom) and I find myself laughing at all his jokes (even though it isn't funny...

Is she interested or not? [ 4 Answers ]

OK here's the back story, Me and my EX got 2gther 6 months ago, we went out for 2 months, saw each other everyday because of our college, she's 19 I'm 21, and thinsg were up and down but generally good... at the start! She then started going cold on me and I became too clingy, wussy and kept...

Is he interested? [ 1 Answers ]

=] hey I have known this guy for more than 1year and 6 months and he seems like he likes me... like When I tell him to do something he does it what does it mean does he like me?? :rolleyes: :)

View more questions Search