Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Whickh transmission choice to choose
    I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. My transmission has failed and the shop I sent it too gave me three choices: a used transmission for $2000; rebuild my transmission with a 12 month warranty for $2500 or lastly rebuild my transmission with a 36 month warranty for $3500. Which one is the best choice?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:47 AM
    If you want to keep the car for 3 more years and you don't see it having any other major problems you could go with the 36 months.
    I wouldn't do the used with no rebuild because the most you get for a guarantee with them is one or three months. The most I have ever seen them last is 1 year.
    The 12 month rebuild would probably be best
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Jul 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
    I would take option 2. First off, 2K for a used tranny seems a bit high to me also you have to look at the fact that you don't know how the previous tranny was maintained or abused. $500 difference between used and rebuilt to me would a no brainer. I would spend the extra $500. I don't think that I would spring the extra 1K for the 2 year additional warranty. If done right the rebuilt should last you at least as long as your original did. Just make sure you go to a reputable transmission rebuild shop, one that specializes in tranny's. You may want to also check around, I have seen prices vary from place to place (like AAMCO, H&H) as much as $500-600 for the same rebuild. Also ask around as tranny shops vary from place to place. They have an AAMCO here that is by far the best transmission shop in the area (there is about 10 to choose from) as far as quality parts and mechanics, professionalism, and cost whereas there is an AAMCO up north I wouldn't have bicycle fixed at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I can't choose anything! [ 8 Answers ]

Whenever I am forced to pick a movie I can't, I look at the movie and just when I am about to put it on, I think of a better movie and then I can't pick that one! People are now getting annoyed at my indesivness. Its weird because when I am in a group and something I get the job done FAST. But...

Do I have a choice [ 8 Answers ]

:( I'm under 16 and my mum is moving at the worst point in my life ! This means I will have to move schools and leave my dad and other family behind and friends I want to go and live with my dad I have asked and spokern with my mum about this but she has just said I don't have a choice and I have...

Can I choose [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I am 14 and I think my mom has full custody of me and I want to live with my dad because of my stepdad he does not like me , I found weed that belongs to him ,and I also found a naked pic. Of his x wife . So can I choose to live with my grandmoter or dad:(

Is being gay a choice? [ 132 Answers ]

Ok I already know the answer to this one because I am gay. I just want to see what others think. There is no way that being gay is a choice. I would have never chosen this for myself. I would have wanted to fit in and be like everyone else. That is what all kids want. I am 18 now and have known I...

Age choice [ 21 Answers ]

At what age can you choose your leagal gardian if something were to happen to your parents?:confused:

View more questions Search