Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbarritt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Painting over concrete stain
    I used concrete stain on bedroom floor and it did not work out. What do I need to do to paint it a solid color? What kind of primer? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 03:00 PM
    You need to remove as much stain as possible and etch the concrete with acid. Is this a basement floor or a slab home?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Dec 2, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I would wash the floor down with TSP and rinse well. Let it dry and apply a coat of oil-based Kilz-it. You can have it tinted to the color of your paint by purchasing a quart and go out to the parking lot and pour a little in a jar to give room for the tinting to be added. Go back in with your receipt and ask them to tint it. Buy a gallon of 1 part epoxy paint tinted to the color you want. You could tape off the floor with masking tape over the stain to create a pattern before you prime and paint.

Scroll down on this site and you will see where they painted designs over a stained floor:
    http://www.stainedconcrete.org/color...altouches.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete floor stain or polish [ 3 Answers ]

Just ripped up the carpet and stripped glue off my solid slab in living room. I then rented a concrete machine and ran it over the top of the concrete to make it smooth. My concrete still has stuff ( Glue / Stains ) on it but its nice an smooth. Question is: 1. Should I rent a wet dry...

Stain on the concrete [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All! It is my fist time here and I am in desperate need of some help. I was staining a footboard next to my door and stain (dark brown) got under the blue tape and stained the concrete (gray, plain one). It looks horrible! Is there anything I can do with it? Thank you for any ideas....

Painting over stain [ 3 Answers ]

What type of primer if any do I need to put on to cover a door frame that has wood stain on it ?I plan on painting them with latex paint

Concrete Stain on EXISTING concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Professionals! I have a large back yard patio that was laid with concrete during the building phase (1995). The concrete was colored during the pour. To date, the concrete is FADED (I live in Phoenix Arizona and the sun is BRUTAL!! ). I need to re-color the concrete deck and don't know...

Stain Concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning on pulling up the carpet and padding on my floor- slab on grade. I would like to stain it. Since it is already sealed is too late to stain it? Thank you P.S. how to thank the person that responds to your question?

View more questions Search