Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrannan30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Landlord tenant issue
    First I live in Allegheny county in Pennsylvaina. My issue is two part: one my landlord is charging me for water use when water is included in my lease, secondly my refriderator went out eight days ago I have called multiple times and just now have received a call back . I have lost over a hundred dollars in food and they are claiming ignorance and no responsibility for the lose. They said they were on vacation and its not their fault. What can I do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Does it state specifically in your lease that the water is included IN the rent amount total.
    I know some communities in Allegheny county the landlord is required to pay the water and then he adds the amount to what you owe him because too many people were up and moving without paying the water bill so some of the water companies now require the landlord to keep the water in his name so he is responsible to go after payment.

This explains about the refrigerator pretty well.
    It says the landlord is not responsible for personal property which is what food would be classified as

When the Refrigerator Dies, Who Pays for the Spoils? - washingtonpost.com

Jul 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Yes my lease specifically says that the landlord pays water.
    I called the landlord four times over the last eight days about the fridge. Her response was they were out of town. I have had repeated problems with the electricity, (the circuit breaker popped when they were out of town, the hot water heater broke when they were out of town and each time I suffer cause they have no one available in emergency situations. And now they claim they are not liable for my lose, I am by no means rich and can not afford to replace all of the food gone, is there something specific I can do or someone I can contact?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 12:38 PM
    So your lease specifically states rent amount includes water and it does not say rent amount plus water.
    You need to send them a certified letter of all the repairs that need to be made and tell him if they aren't done within a specified date you are going to take him to court.
    They are not liable for your food but they are liable to not be slum lords either.
    I think you can go to the district court to file to force him to do something but I am [retty sure you need to send him a certified copy and keep a copy for yourself.

Jul 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
    It includes water, sewage and garbage.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Point it out to him in the lease then there isn't much he can do about it,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant landlord law [ 6 Answers ]

Last Saturday my roommate up and moved out while I was at a baseball game. We have a signed lease which I am assuming makes it a binding contract and her liable for the remainder of the lease. But my real question is... the landlord allowed her to sign a lease to live in another apartment on the...

Landlord/Tenant [ 3 Answers ]

All and any help/advice/assistance is greately appreciated. I live in Florida, I have signed a lease on a property for a one year period. But after only 2 months of living in this property the owner decided to SELL the property. Here are my concern: First of all no where in the lease...

Tenant Landlord NY law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NY apt for 27 years, advised landlord I might be moving out in 2 months due to a strong business possibility in another State. He advised me to sign 1 more year lease in case bsnss doesn't go through and added a clause I can break the lease with a 30 days prior written notice to him, I...

Landlord/Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

Landlord is suing me in small claims court, for not providing a written notice, damage to Unit, Garbage disposal and for unpaid rent, I did give two months verbal notice, did not damage unit, have all copies of cheques paid and a letter from One of the partner stating I have paid my rent on time...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

View more questions Search