Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redboots Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Painted paneling looking sad
    Help! :eek: I've painted over paneling with a sealer/primer and it's peeling off in places when I go over it with a brush (along the edges) and sometimes right on the wall with the paint roller putting on the next coat. Also it's turning the white primer yellow. It looks splotchy, and obvious that there were things hanging on the wall. It hasn't turned yellow there. Some panels are looking great. Three coats of primer and they are solid and not flaked off. Will it just need more coats of primer, carefully layered on? Or do I have to somehow scrub off the primer (of please say no) and start again? Or should I/could I put BIN over all this now and hope that it adheres properly? Yikes! I was hoping this would be a quick and easy job. Lucky for me it's only 2 walls that have the paneling.
    Thanks
    Boots
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Sounds like the paneling was not totally clean or free from oil or grease. Wherever the peeeling happens clean with mineral spirits and TSP before priming. You should not need 3 coats of BIN, read the can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Paneling [ 7 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to remodel my basement. It was finished 20 years ago with some kind of old thin "wood" paneling that I now want to take down. I'm thinking that there has to be a better paneling out there nowadays, and one that can be installed by a homeowner. Does anyone know of a brand, or...

Fireproof paneling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, In my office I've wood paneling (8' x 4' x 1/8'') dark oak Type II (info taken from the back of the panel). I need to know if these paneling is fire rated or fire proofed, or how to know when a panel if fire proofed? A favor of a reply is appreciated. Tom

New paneling is buckling, why? [ 5 Answers ]

I just put up new paneling in my laundry room. I used glue on the back and nails all around and for some reason a few panels are buckling on me. Why? Did I not do something right? I paneled over sheetrock, so there is a solid back. Also, do I now have to replace these pieces of paneling or...

Wood paneling [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice...

Paneling a bathroom.. need help [ 1 Answers ]

Do I panel before or after my sink tub and shower get installed?thanks

View more questions Search