Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwayne71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 10:02 AM
    220 4 wire outlet in my garage
    I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
    What amperage is the circuit?
    What size wire is it?

"220v" is technically incorrect (240v, or 120/240v, is more accurate), and it is only half the equation. Amperage is the other half.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black smutaround outlet in garage [ 2 Answers ]

The outlet in my garage won't work!I had a fridge plugged into it.now there's black smut around it how do I replace the outlet?

Garage Outlet Mystery [ 3 Answers ]

Hello and thanks for looking at my problem. I am going to describe my problem the best that I can. A couple of weeks ago I came home form work and the electric opener on my detached garage wasn't opening. I opened the door manually and went to investigate. My door opener motor is plugged into...

Adding GFI outlet to garage light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the outside garage light and would like to put an outlet next to it. The switch has a black wire and a wite one marked black. So do I just add the switch in to the hot (black) wre then make a "jumper" wire from the white side to the black hot side of the switch, and...

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

View more questions Search