Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Hot water smells like Sulfur
    What should I do or check my hot water smells like sulfar?

Thank you.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 10:31 AM
    There are two possible causes that I know of, one is that if you are on a well the well water has a high content of sulphur, the second it that your anode rod in your water heater is eroding and it is putting off this gas as it does. If it is the second you can buy a coated anode rod that will stop the odor or reduce it to a very low level
    If it is the first I would doctor the well with chlorine.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
    You want to get a Zinc Anode rod which probably isn't the original type of magnesium or Aluminum.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Your condition is likely a combination of the water quality of your well if you have a well and a mismatch of the anode rod to your water condition.

How old is your heater if it is still under warranty Contact the manufacture and tell them what is going on and that you have isolated the problem to the water heater.

You will need the model and serial number from the heater and perhaps the style or type or warranty number. Write them all down.

The rod is replaceable but they do not come out easily and if you do not have a about three feet of head room above your water heater you may have to remove it in order to get the rod out and replace it, see the picture below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 12:15 PM
    This is how the Anode rod installed inside the water heater, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur smell in cold water [ 4 Answers ]

We have a sulfur rotten egg smell coming from the cold water faucet only and only in one bathroom. We have city water. We removed the faucet, check the drain, no smell. But the water emptied from the flex hose warm side no smell at all. Cold side, smells like rotten eggs. Still am not sure where...

Water from RO smells [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced my under sink RO system with a new one. On filling a glass with water There is an initial bad smell (drainlike) from the water. After a few seconds it dissipates. The water from the regular faucets is o.k. I called the manufacturers of the RO unit and they told me that it...

Smell of sulfur whan hot water is turned on [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing this for a friend so I'll get the info as quick as I can. I believe he only smells the sulfur when the hot water is running not the cold. What could this be a sign of? (no its not hell on earth :p )

View more questions Search