Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gfmotz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Drilling a hole in magnet
    I am looking to get a magnet that is about the site of a CD and has a hole in the middle. I was unable to find one with a hole but I found a solid disc that would work. My question is, can I safely drill a hole in the middle of this magnet without severely compromising the magnetic force? The magnet I am talking about is a industrial strength rare earth magnet.

Below are the specs from the website selling the magnet

Rare-Earth Neodymium-Iron-Boron Magnet; Shape - Disc; Dimension - Diameter 1.000" (25.40mm) x Thickness 0.125" (3.18mm); Material - Sintered NdFeB; Magnetization - Magnetized; Magnetization Direction - Thickness; Plating - Nickel; Temperature Range (Deg C) - 0 to 80; Dimensional Tolerance - (+/-0.005"); Grade N40; Pull Force - 10.69lb/4849g
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 12, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Besides a slight decrease of magnetism there will be no other problems, but getting out the filings. A magnetic field is resulting from the entire force delivered by aligned magnets all through the magnet body from surface to surface.
    In the early 1970's I did research in many types of magnets, but never experienced problems as you seem to expect.

Success !

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

Magnet [ 1 Answers ]

How many metals are attracted to magnets and what they are?

How strong of a magnet? [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old daughter is doing a project for the science fair that is "Can you find traces of iron in food, dollar bills, and other household items with a magnet?" I was wondering how strong of a magnet she needs for this project and a good place to buy the magnets would be? Thanks!

Magnet [ 1 Answers ]

What is a magnet attracted to?

Mosquito Magnet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone own a Mosquito Magnet and is it worth it? I have a 5 acres lot and my backyard is a plantation of pine trees. So yes there is a lot of mosquitos my family loves the outdoor but we are invaded by mosquitos so we keep ourselves indoors. Any suggestions Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search