Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timlab1955 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Water Pressure on Well/Watering 1/2 acre
    Here's my problem. First off I have a well with a submerge pump on it. The well turns on at 40 psi and turns off at 60 psi. For everyday use, this psi is fine, but right now I'm trying to grow new grass on 1/2 acre and I haven't a clue why or what. I tried to hook up four sprinklers heads and when I turned on the water, hardly any water came out. Then I took 2 off line and that made the other two work, but not fully. As mentioned on the box, that the range could go up to 80 feet. In my eye ball measurement, they where only shooting 40 feet. So how can I get more water to all four heads and shoot 80'. Secondly, my pump turns on every 5 seconds when I'm using just the two heads. Is this okay or am I working the pump too hard? If someone has the answer, please email me the answers. Thanks.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Three thoughts:

1. Your problem is volume, not pressure. Not sure what size pipe you have run to the heads, but probably the only solution is to run larger pipe.

2. To try to irrigate 1/2 acre with a residential well/pump is being pretty ambitious. Most residential setups are doing "well" to supply 10 gpm. Not sure what your sprinkler heads are rated at, but no doubt just two of them are supposed to supply that amount, much less all four.

3. If your pump is cycling every five seconds, that's a good news/bad news kind of thing. The good news is that your pump is able to supply enough water for your current setup and still pump up to pressure and cut off. The bad news is that either you have a woefully small pressure tank, or more likely your tank is waterlogged. If your tank has an air valve on top, press the valve for two or three seconds and see if water comes out. You really don't want the pump cycling every five seconds. Get back with your results.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
    jlisenbe mentioned the valve on top of the tank, if you have one see if it has a schrader valve core in it. I think that you may have a bladder tank and that you have lost the air in the upper portion of your tank. With the well turned off and the pressure out of the pipes use a tire pressure gage and see if you have pressure in the upper portion of your tank, it should be around 30 PSI, if not use a tire pump and put that much pressure in it, this will stop you pump from cycling ever few seconds.. If it acts the same way soon then you have a leak in the upper tank.

Jul 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Answers to your questions:
    #1: The size pipe is a normal pipe on an outside faucet.
    #2: The sprinklers that I'm using I purchased from Home Depot (should of gone to Lowe's (LOL))
    #3: The pump was put in 2005, but still is there any of way of wating this much lawn? Later (about 2 years from now), I plan on putting in a water system for the whole year (1 1/2 acres).

To Letmetellu question, the PSI on it is only 25 PSI. Since it is new there is a warrty on it and I don't want to ruin that.

My last question is, what would be the best way right now to be able to water this large yard of mine. Enough to get the new seed that I put down to take hold?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Running sprinklers is a little bit different deal than supplying water to a house. As I understand it, you would like for your pump to run for most, if not all, of the time the sprinklers are on. They need a steady pressure, not going up and down 20# at a time. But that's not really my thing.

However, I am still concerned about your pump cycling every five seconds. You really need to address that. Check that tank.

Jul 12, 2008, 02:52 PM
    jlisenbe - The only time the pump comes on (like I said) is when the PSI goes down to 40 and turns off at 60 PSI. Taking a shower, washing dishes, etc. no problem. It's when I'm running the water to water the yard is when it comes on every 5 seconds. If you feel I should have it checked, please tell me and I will have it done. Other than that, is there any other way I can water this 1/2 acre?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
    If it works fine for the house, then I wouldn't worry about it. However, you really don't want a five second cycle, especially when watering your yard which would go on, I would guess, for a sizeable period. That's 12 cycles a minute, or 720 an hour. That kills pumps. I can't really make a judgment on the 1/2 acre question. Perhaps some others on this board with that kind of experience can jump in.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
    TimLab1955: Your "problem" is a simple equation that may be solved just about any engineer on paper. I would suggest that you do the following:

Go to Home Depot. Pick up "Sprinkler Watering Design" flyer from sprinkler aisle. It consists of a drawing page where you can draw in a plot plan of your property and desired sprinkler placement. Fax it over to the manufacturer's engineer. They will tell you exactly what you need to install your sprinklers, including pipe sizing, GPM demand, water pressure, water volume... etc. Last time I checked, it was TORO who offered this service. But I am sure any sprinkler manufacturer will be more than glad to give you that information. It is free of charge.

Reading your post 3 times, I see the following problem: you are not giving us size of your pipe and developed length from the source to the most distant sprinkler head. Also, GPM rating per sprinkler. I assume you are using impulse sprinklers. If you place them 200' from the source than I would not expect them to shoot 80'. If you have undersized pipe, than try to compensate for this by increasing water pressure.

Now: If I was facing your situation, then I would do the following: I would run 1 sprinkler at a time to achieve the strongest spray. Each sprinkler would be connected to its own elec. Actuator. I would time them in sequence, one after the other. The anti-siphon valves would have to be at least 1". I would run 1 1/4" or even 1 1/2" PVC to each sprinkler. That way I would be assured there is enough volume in each run .

This set up requires more PVC pipes, but may be the best solution for water volume transfer over 1/2 acre piece of land.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
    That's sure sounds right. I would add one thought. You absolutely cannot have the pump cycling so frequently (I know I've said that twice already). I would have to look at getting a larger pressure tank or addressing some other strategy to prevent that problem.

Jul 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I thank you all for all the information you have brought to my problem. I have decided to see what mother nature can do for me first. Secondly, I have a next door friend who is a whiz with things like this. He suggested that I get his 120 gallon storage tank, and hook that up and fill it up. Use this storage tank and let the water run out of that, giving my pump a rest. Again, I thank you all.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:59 PM
    The large tank is probably a good idea. Best wishes.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Additionally: check into installing a booster pump, too...

Don't forget to let us know, how you solved your situation. It is a learning experience for everybody. Thanks and Good Luck to you !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Sq feet in acre [ 5 Answers ]

How many sq feet in an acre

Outside feet of acre [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how many 30" steps are on one side of a 15 acre track. Figure it square and if you can give me some type formula I can use to put in different measurments for each side if I choose to make it a rectanglar. Thank you very much. Gary:eek:

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

M2 in an acre [ 1 Answers ]

How many m2 in an acre:)

View more questions Search