Ask
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Spontaneous remission
    Is that possible in the case of schizophrenia ?:rolleyes:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:12 AM
    What makes you feel they could be in remission?
    How sever was the schizophrenia?

I know some people claim that schizophrenia is partly caused by a lack of B vitamins and other things. Have they been eating better?
    What have been some changes in their life?

Jul 12, 2008, 05:23 AM
    I asked hypotheticaly if that is possible . My friend don't takes pills for one month and he look like that he is in remission . I told him that its to early for taking any conclusion . I think that is nessesery to past at least on year .

But as I know spontaneous remission is not possible in the case of schizophrenia . What do you think how long is possible to be in remission without pills ?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:27 AM
    I am not sure what you are saying you are saying that spontaneous remission is not possible but it is your question. You say you are asking hypothetically but continue by saying he looks like he is.
    Are you wanting to know if he can go off his pills because he is in remission?
    I would call that a case of the pills doing their job and taking him off the pills will put him right back where he was.

Jul 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Well he believe that he don't need it any more . I don't want to kill his hope but his case will be first in history of medicine .

I would like to find a logical explanation for his one month without pills remission . If there is common to be in remission for that long or longer without a pills I would like to know how long he can endure ?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:40 AM
    I doubt he is in remission. The build up of the pills very likely are still in his system.
    It is common for people with mental health issues to believe they are better and go off their meds. Then they slowly start relapsing into their old ways but they do not see it at all.

Jul 12, 2008, 05:55 AM
    He also have depression with schizophrenia . He use to take anti-depresives and anti-psyhotics . But he stopped . If you are schizophrenic maybe you can be sure if you are in remission but in case of depression you will quickly get a symptoms .

Its F 20.0 paranoic-schizophrenia . He don't have any symptoms and doctor says he is in remission . One month is eounght to clean your body from any medicament so I don't believe that there is anything left in his body .

He was hositalized about 7 time and there is no possibility that he is missdiagnosted . He is in remission since October last year and he stopped taking pills one month ago . There was also some other symptoms like shaking that also gone .
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 12, 2008, 06:15 AM
    "In medicine, spontaneous remission is recovery without known reason or cause.[1] Spontaneous remission are usual in many health disorders [2] and are more commonplace than it is generally assumed,[1] principally in young people.[2]" -Wikipedia Seems fairly true.

So your friend stopped his pills and seems to be recovering, well that can't really be Spontaneous remission, since it is with out known reason or cause, he is assuming that the pills are the cause.
    Where you are wondering weather or not, he simply got better for an unknown reason? Which is quite possible on account that you don't think the pills would take effect so early or easily.
    There is no known reason for Schizophrenia, But some Doctors believe that it has a biologic basis. They have a model called the "vulnrability- stress" model. In this model it explains that people who are biologically vulnrable are more likely to get Schizophrenia.

Some symptoms include: Difficulty processing information, an inability to pay attention, an impaired ability to behave in a socially acceptable manner, and an inability to cope with problems in general, Delutions such as: believing that others can read their mind, their thoughts are being transmitted to others, or visversa, paranoia like being followed, Sensing things that are not there, Speech problems like rambling, random switch of topics, Childlike sillyness, agitation, inapropriate behavior, Lack of emotional expression/eye contact, inability to feel pleasure, Answer questions with little or few words. Keep a close eye on these things when around your friend.

I hope that helps. I'm going to guess that affects, or symptoms can change much the same as any one's mood, how is his life other wise, what does he do, how is he acting and reacting to stimuli (weather it's people, places, things, emotions.) Well best of Luck.

Peace

Jul 12, 2008, 06:23 AM
    It maybe that there is still or was still some of the medication in his system, and now, even if it is all gone, his brain or mind has learned to simmulate the effects, or cope with out the meds, the only question is for how long.
    See the brain is plastic (or so some believe.), has the ability to change or adapt, and will some times use parts that are not damaged to fulfill the funtions of a part that is damaged. It's like taking a computer chip for the video card and putting it in the slot for the sound card. (it may not be as effective, but it is still effective, and may be good.)

Jul 12, 2008, 06:38 AM
    There is also something interesting happened in that month . He stopped drinking . He is/was I can say alcoholic ( about 6 beers per day ) . New its zero .

Some people believe in devine curing but he is agnostic and he don't pray or go to church .

There is also something why he don't want that doctors know that he stopped tretmant . He don't want to loss pension .
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Since he is doing good and off the meds he probably should learn what things might help

Folic acid deficiency occurs in 10 to 30% of hospitalized psychiatric patients. [1] In addition to psychosis, the deficiency is associated with depression, confusion, disorientation and dementia as well as with neurological symptoms such as numbness, stiffness, spasticity and weakness, both with and without muscular atrophy.

He should make sure his foods contain these vitamins and minerals per day

Amount Per Serving
    % DV
    Vitamin C 20 mg 333%
    Vitamin E 20 IU 667%
    Niacin 50 mg 250%
    Vitamin B6 50 mg 2500%
    Folate 400 mcg 100%
    Vitamin B12 125 mcg 2083%
    Zinc 10 mg 67%
    Manganese 1 mg 50%
    Flax Seed Powder 50 mg

5-HTP 50 mg
    Lecithin 100 mg
    Bioflavonoid Concentrate 10 mg
    Garlic Extract 100 mg
    L-Glutathione Reduced 100 mg
    L-Methionine 250 mg
    DL-Phenylalanine 25 mg
    GABA 250 mg
    * Daily Value (DV) not established

If he takes heart or blood medicine some of these may be should be avoided

Jul 12, 2008, 07:28 AM
    It could be that his drinking combind with taking the pills was stopping the pills from working, if he quit drinking before he quit the pills maybe there was enough of the meds in him to start acctaully working, since alcohol is out of the system after so many hours depending on the amount of drinking, mind you if you drink every day the alcohol may not filter out as fast, on account that your body may be tired or still dealing with the day before. Then again maybe not. There are many factors involved.

As for devine curring, how do we know that what ever is or is not there, didn't decide to save him regardless his spiritual and religious beliefs and/or his faith in it. Because that is a belief, and belief is an "opinion" or conviction, "confidence" in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof (proof that is unyielding, or inflexable.), "accepted" as true. So, since no one can rigorously disproove anything, then it remains a "personal choice". And even if we don't believe in it doesn't mean it's not there.
    On the other hand, Contradictory to belief, yet simmular, Faith is an opinion that is not baised on proof, so when people say that the evidence of a higher power or source is the world/existance/ and all around us, and they tell us to have faith. Then give evidence of it's existence, they are really confusing.
    The point of all that again is that even if he doesn't hold either of those as true, Belief or faith in a higher power doesn't mean he is right, doesn't mean he is wrong just means he doesn't believe or have faith.
    Let religion, or spiritual belief's faiths of others work themselves out, and try to focuse on what is at hand. A friend who has stopped taking his meds for Schizophrenia, and your concern for him. Try to let him do as he feels he must, but be there and watch him so you may be able to spot what he can not. If you feel you must. But try not to worry, you can not control him, and it seems like he wants to try something new, dangerous? Maybe, maybe not, but for now, it seems like he's OK. No?

Jul 12, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Well he is all right for now . But... there are lots of buts . He is now 32 and he was ill for 7 years and now it stops for no reason . It is strange to me . All this years in hospitals for why ?

We will know much more one year from now . Until than we can only wait . He studied law than become a vegetable and now possible new life . Interesting switch .
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Keep your eye on him for changes in his behavior.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:47 PM
    What could be happening is that his life is quite different from the time of his first psychotic break... less stressful... and so he is able to control himself by telling himself that, for example, the police aren't following him or whatever his paranoid delusion may be.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Schizophrenia is a degenerative disease. It does not have any known cure. Medications are designed to alleviate symptoms to facilitate easier participation in normal life activities.

The fact that he is feeling better does *not* mean that he should go off his medications. It means that they are working! It is likely that he will need to take meds for the rest of his life. Going off his medications can be dangerous. It could even result in him getting worse than he was before.

His doctor is the only one who can determine what he should (or should not) be taking.

Please note! Schizophrenics are infamous for thinking that they do not need to take their medications. This is so prevalent that it can even be considered part of the disease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex left because I wasn't spontaneous enough. [ 13 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend who I lived with for the past year and a half broke up with me because I wasn't "spontaneous" enough. I won't lie, we both were really comfortable in our relationshp and didn't express our love as much as we did in the beginning but we always had trust and always spent time...

Husband had prostate cancer in remission 2 years not same person [ 2 Answers ]

My husband had prostate cancer and has been free of cancer for 2 years. But he has changed so much. He drinks a lot. He worked in the mortgage industry and he had to Resign because he loan decisions were bad. He won't talk as to why he is doing this and I am at my wits end. I love him more than...

Spontaneous drain stoppage [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem and need advice. I was doing laundry this afternoon when I heard running water. I went to where my washer was and there was water overflowing from the drain tub onto the floor. I lifted the washer lid to stop the water draining into the tub. There was nothing in the tub that...

View more questions Search