Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    movie_maker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 06:39 PM
    Reporting interest income on 1040NR-EZ
    Hi ATE,

I have read most of tax related topics in this forum and I feel this is a very helpful forum. I need your advise on my status:

I was a student until April-2005 (Originally I came on F-1 status in Aug-01), my OPT was started in May-05 and I got job in August-05, my H1-B start date is Sept-05 but in my passport I still have F-1 visa status. I did not have my H1-B stamped yet. So

1)What is my immigration status at the end of 31 Dec 2005?
    2) I have to file my taxes, so can I use 1040NR-EZ and 8843 forms as I am NR and can take advantage of India-Tax treaty?
    3) I have also received 1099-INT INTEREST INCOME form in the amount of $25 from my bank. Is there a way to show this interest income on 1040NR-EZ form? Or Do I need to fill separate form for this interest income and if yes where can I get this form?
    4)If I fill this 1099-INT form then still will I be eligible for 1040NR-EZ?

Thanks a lot in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2006, 11:34 PM
    1) H-1B, but, tax-wise, it makes no difference.

2) Yes.

3) No, you need to use Form 1040NR.

4) No.
    movie_maker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Thanks a lot ATI.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting inheritance for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to clear up what to report on my individual tax form from a recent inheritance from a parent. I directly inherited 1 a teacher's pension fund lump sum settlement (I think it's considered like life insurance payout), 2 a life insurance pay out, 3 and an annuity cash out....

Please help with numerical (income measurement & reporting) accounting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the following problems. Can someone please help me with these problems. I really need some help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 1) During a recent period a real estate development company using the installment method of revenue recognition used a 40% gross profit...

Reporting immigration fraud [ 3 Answers ]

If you know of Immigration fraud that is going on in Cincinnati Ohio can anyone tell me with whom I would report it to? I have tried various numbers and they are either disconnected or only computer voiced. Thx

Credit reporting [ 3 Answers ]

When someone is offered a settlement or you are negociating (sp) with a creditor or collection agency. Some say to try to get the creditor to put PAID IN FULL OR NEVER LATE OR no deal. How do you really know that they will abide by what they are saying, I know they can't be trusted. Do you wait...

View more questions Search