Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kraftnurs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Rescue peeing in house and crate in spite of training
    We have an 18 mo. Old boxer that is a rescue. We have had him for 2 mo.s. From day one there have been issues with him peeing in our home. We have been treating him as a new puppy from day one. We cannot leave him in the house for longer than 2 hours at a time, this still after 2 months. If we do he will pee. We praise him when he pees or poops. Everything we have read says take them out every 3-4 hours, that would not work. He has also started peeing in his crate at times. His crate is the right size for him, not a lot of extra room. Help we are strongly considering returning him to the rescue. We hate to but, are out of ideas and can't keep up the 2 hour pace forever. Yes, he has been checked for UTI.
    vARSITYteNNis Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2008, 08:54 PM
    This is a tricky situation. From a similar experience with a rescued puppy that I have been through, I learned to be patient. This dog, that is so blessed to be in a safe home with you, is just nervous. It all really depends on his situation, his special case; what he might have been through earlier in his life. My advice to you is be patient, give it more time. And remember to keep your cool if he does have an accident. You getting mad and yelling will only make the process of training him tougher. Good luck! I hope that helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old english bulldog crate and house training issues! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! We got Rogan at 4 months old from a kennel and I believe he got used to eliminating in his crate and cleaning up after himself as well as eliminating wherever and whenever he wanted. Since we got him 4 months ago, he has improved with housebreaking issues. However, the rule of thumb I heard...

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Dog peeing in crate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old boxer. He's house broken, but sleeps in a crate at night where he pees almost every night. We know that he can hold it all night because sometimes he'll sleep on a blanket in our bedroom and have no accidents. But if we put him in the crate its almost guaranteed he'll pee...

2 yo rescue is fouling her crate [ 5 Answers ]

2 months ago, we adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweet dog and gets along great with our kids. She also seems to be super calm; loves to lay on the bed and relax. Housebreaking is a problem though, when we're not around. Here's the story: She was a breeder's dog and had a...

Search and Rescue/Hunting Training for Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in the dog business for sometime now, but I really want to advance my knowledge in the field and get into doing search and rescue, as well as hunting and tracking for dogs. Does anyone know where I can go about finding a correspondance school that teaches this? I can't afford to...

View more questions Search