Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Debt collection letter
    I apologize now for the length of this question but feel the more details the more informed the answers!

My husband and I both have a credit card from First Premier Bank. A few months ago we missed a payment on his card and when the next payment was due, we got a letter saying we owed over $300. We had sent in a payment that just had not reached them by the time they sent out the new notice but it showed up when I checked online.

A week or so after that, we get a letter from a collection agency telling us we owe their client, Premier Bankcard, over $300! AT THAT TIME, we did not compare account numbers or anything because the dollar amounts seemed to match. We ignored the letter because we knew we had sent in a payment that was accepted and everything would be fine.

Since then, we have been doing well on getting our payments in. The mail is the biggest problem but it is cheaper to pay for a stamp than pay the "convenience fee" to pay this online. We just gotten our statements (about a week apart). Mine showed they had received and credited my payment but my husband's did not show that. Then today, July 11, we received another letter from the same collection agency. It was a settlement offer based upon the first letter they sent us.

THIS time I compared account numbers. The account number in the letter does not match any of our accounts. I did some checking and Premier Bankcard and First Premier are the same company so that was okay.

So, obviously, what we want to do is request validation of this debt. My question is, since we ignored the first letter and it has been more than thirty days, can we still legally get them to validate this debt for us?

I am very leery of this letter because of an attempt two years ago to steal my husband's identity that backfired on the person doing it. I am worried this same person may have gotten a credit card in my husband's name. He had already bought three prepaid credit cards in addition to attempting to get credit online with Hotels.com.

ANY help would be appreciated. I certainly do not want to write a letter to this company and make things worse.
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Jul 12, 2008, 02:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMac2003
    I apologize now for the length of this question but feel the more details the more informed the answers!

My husband and I both have a credit card from First Premier Bank. A few months ago we missed a payment on his card and when the next payment was due, we got a letter saying we owed over $300. We had sent in a payment that just had not reached them by the time they sent out the new notice but it showed up when I checked online.

A week or so after that, we get a letter from a collection agency telling us we owe their client, Premier Bankcard, over $300! AT THAT TIME, we did not compare account numbers or anything because the dollar amounts seemed to match. We ignored the letter because we knew we had sent in a payment that was accepted and everything would be fine.

Since then, we have been doing well on getting our payments in. The mail is the biggest problem but it is cheaper to pay for a stamp than pay the "convenience fee" to pay this online. We just gotten our statements (about a week apart). Mine showed they had received and credited my payment but my husband's did not show that. Then today, July 11, we received another letter from the same collection agency. It was a settlement offer based upon the first letter they sent us.

THIS time I compared account numbers. The account number in the letter does not match any of our accounts. I did some checking and Premier Bankcard and First Premier are the same company so that was okay.

So, obviously, what we want to do is request validation of this debt. My question is, since we ignored the first letter and it has been more than thirty days, can we still legally get them to validate this debt for us?

I am very leery of this letter because of an attempt two years ago to steal my husband's identity that backfired on the person doing it. I am worried this same person may have gotten a credit card in my husband's name. He had already bought three prepaid credit cards in addition to attempting to get credit online with Hotels.com.

ANY help would be appreciated. I certainly do not want to write a letter to this company and make things worse.
    I do not know about validation, but I would contact where I have the debt since they have my information already. I would inquire about the debt on my non account number, explain since you are both the same company can you please resolve this, ask for a supervisor. If this did not solve it, I would send a certified letter to the collection agency, telling them this is not my debt or account number and remove it immediately (do not give them the correct account number or mention you already have another account with the same company). If this does not solve it,contact the attorney general's office in your state, they investigate these type of consumer issues.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Yup, call the collector only one time, don't pay anything over the phone, don't give them any info just state the facts, they are collecting on the wrong account number you already paid the card and they need to check that with first premier before they force you to take other actions. If that doesn't fix the problem start the complaints and validation process.

First premier is a perfect example of predatory lending for bad credit people, HSBC orchard bank is much better (free online payments) and fair, I would consider to apply for HSBC and close First premiere.

Carl.-
    MELoo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 08:04 AM

Acctually, they are collecting on legitimate causes. I hate to say this but they have every right to be collecting on the account. I worked for Premier Bankcard in the collections department so I know a thing or two about them. This answer is way over due however I think If you knew a few things you would be able to better assist yourself in the future. Main thing here is that First Premier Bank and Premier Bankcard are two different companies! You can NOT send a payment to First Premier Bank and expect it to get to Premier Bankcard, doesn't work that way. So always be sure to check your account numbers and watch for that, otherwise your account will be hit with about $50 in fees just for one late payment. Plus on top of that, they will collect the balance in full to get you out of debt. You can pay the minimum amount however they will try to collect the balance because that is what's stated in your contract. It's like paragraph 3, section 11 if you want to look it up. The key thing to know about Premier Bankcard, is that if you stay on top of it, use it right, and get those payments in on time, you will help your credit. I did. I was 18 when I got my card and within 6 months I was able to get a cell phone without a down payment. 6 months earlier they were asking me to pay $400 to just get a plan because I had no credit! It works, I promise. If you ever have any questions in regards to Premier just let me know, I have all the answers! :)
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2009, 06:11 PM

My problem was that the account numbers did not match anything we had so this account they were collecting on was not us. Just wanted to know what to do to avoid future problems. Thanks to everyone for the advice, we turned all of it over to an attorney and he is handling it for us. Thanks!
    Ihavesd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 08:35 PM
    So I worked for first permier bankcard for like two years. This is what you have to do. Call customer service and be very *****y, demaned help or you will close you card. They are all about saving account since the new law. They are losing lots of money, an getting new accounts. So this is the point get a copy of your bank statement that show you paid it, faxe a copy to premier bank. Wirte a cover letter make put your account number on the letter demaned to be called back. Like I said in the being if you account is still open, be a little *****y and demaned service. I hope this help. An for any one the is reading this. Collections will give credit fees back for payments. Say something like I will pay the blance in full if you credit the rest, or I am not going to pay for the late fees but I will make a payment of X amount if you credit the late fee back. Or just tell collection the last person you talked to permoised of credit for a lager payment. Permier bankcard collection gave give collection credit of 100$ in a 90 day perido. So ever three months you can get 100 off you account. Oh and if you hate the year fee of 48$ plus. This will only work if the account is still open. Call customer service and tell them you are going to close the account if you have to pay the annual fee. Now customer service retention department can credit the back to the account. So you never have to pay it. And if you are getting call on you cell phone number. Just tell the collection rep that this is cell number an do not call my cell phone. This person does not live here. By law that have to remove it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection letter regarding an unknown TEN YEAR OLD DEBT! [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has received a letter from a collections agency which states that he owes nearly $700, which they are attempting to collect. The letter has the last 4 numbers of his SSN and lists another person as a co-debtor. I contacted the business regarding this claim and was immediately told to...

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

I have received a letter from attorneys office for debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how long will it be before I reach a summons. I also live in the state of ca and will they have to sue me in California because I reside here? Also how long will it take for them to serve me a summons?

View more questions Search