Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Mar 29, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Information Store Crashes Server 2003
    I have a Microsoft Server 2003 machine that will, for no apparent reason, crash when it reaches the Information Store during a backup. Unfortunately it will not do it every time, only sometimes if it is left to backup overnight. The whole computer will just lock up. There are no error messages in the event logs, the only thing that is there is an information message that says "Information Store (3808) BACKUP data transfer method is shared memory (64kb)" and this is apparently supposed to be there. The only software installed on it are Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v 10.0 and WSUS. There is a batch script that runs a defrag of the C: several hours before the backup but it has worked on numerous servers before this one. If you need any more information please just ask. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 29, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Here's a couple of my thoughts;
    IS WSUS set to sync any time near the back up ?
    Have you tried throw more RAM into the box ? I know WSUS needs at least 1Gb, not to sure about info store, but it's worth a look.

Mar 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Hey thanks for the quick response. The WSUS does not update any time near the backup. It starts at 8PM while the backup runs at 1AM. Also the server is running 1GB of RAM already.
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

May 2, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Backup operation fails when you back up Exchange Server 2003 databases and System State Information at the same time

Assuming your running exchange this looks like a soltuion, or at least an explanation.

May 2, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Ok I'm not sure if I've found the root of the problem but we found that if you put a raid card in rather than using the onboard raid it doesn't seem to fault. We have two servers that are identical except one has a raid card and one is using onboard. Ironically the onboard one has worked for nearly a full month and only had the problem once where it used to have it every two or three days. The server with the raid card is running perfectly without any problems at all and has been doing so for a couple of weeks now (knock on wood.) The only thing I can think of is that there is an issue with the Intel ICH7R chipset on the motherboard. I cannot find anything information on the net about conflicts between SBS Server 2003 and that chipset but I know there was a different issue with the ICH6R chipset so maybe the problem hasn't been completely rectified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Server 2003 Share Access [ 9 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading a peer to peer windows xp network environment to a windows server 2003 domain. My clients have windows xp pro with a third party program installed for point of sale and accounts receivable management. The program requires access to a network share folder housing the...

Win server 2003: unique problem [ 6 Answers ]

One morning, I cannot log on to the domain. All clients cannot logon. Netlogon is not working so I cannot use mapped drives. I cannot run tool like DCdiag. Event viewer - Event ID 13516 - FRS (File replication service) is no longer preventing the computer... from becoming a domain controller. ...

Setup Server 2003 to share internet connection [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently installed Windows Server 2003 and I'm trying to get another computer to connect to the internet through the server. The server is hooked up to a router currently and I have installed the 2nd NIC to hook up the other computer. What steps do I need to go through to start getting...

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

Linux. 2003 Server & XP [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys/gals. I have a question the issue I'm having is this. I want to have 3 OS's on 2 hard drives I currently have: XP Pro on my 80Gig - Master 2K3 Server & Linux on my 40Gig - Slave I want to know how I can setup a boot system that will let me chose which OS I desire, I have tried to...

View more questions Search