Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Does Roundup really kill crabgrass?
    I have an area about 20 feet by 30 feet that is infested with crabgrass. It's about 99 percent crabgrass and 1 percent centipede grass. I was told that Roundup would kill the crabgrass. What I wanted to do is completely kill everything in this area and just resod it, hoping that new sod properly, cared for, would prevent new crabgrass. Anyway, I bought some Super Concentrate Roundup and applied it according to directions. This was 3 days ago and so far I haven't seen any difference in the crabgrass, but the little bit of centipede is all yellow now. Does it take longer for it to work on crabgrass, or will it even kill crabgrass? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    sinedo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
    It kills some things fast, and some are more difficult. The key is spraying it on the leaf surfaces when it is sunny and the factory is working. The Roundup chemical is cycled down to the roots where it kills them. When it's all dead, you still may have seeds that are in the soil and will germinate, so it is best to irrigate or let rain help those seeds to pop, before you resod, and have to fight the war again. Repeat until no more come up.

It will also kill trees if applied into a drilled hole in the trunk. Takes a while, but does the trick.

Denis
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sinedo
    It kills some things fast, and some are more difficult. The key is spraying it on the leaf surfaces when it is sunny and the factory is working. The Roundup chemical is cycled down to the roots where it kills them. When it's all dead, you still may have seeds that are in the soil and will germinate, so it is best to irrigate or let rain help those seeds to pop, before you resod, and have to fight the war again. Repeat until no more come up.

It will also kill trees if applied into a drilled hole in the trunk. Takes a while, but does the trick.

Denis
    Thanks for your input. It sure didn't take too long for the centipede to turn yellow, so hopefully the crabgrass will follow suit soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crabgrass [ 1 Answers ]

We have a serious crabgrass problem this year. Is there anything we can do right now to kill it and prevent it from germanation next year?

Getting rid of Crabgrass and weeds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have lots of crabgrass and weeds all over my lawn and backyard. I recently picked up a bag of Scott's Weed killer and applied to the entire area yesterday. I am a new homeowner and am wondering how I can get rid of these problems as they are unsightly to my lawn. Anyone recommend any...

Puppy got into Roundup. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, the family puppy which is a Golden Retriever/Lab/Shepard X found an empty container of roundup out on my parents farm. My dad does not know where she found it, but he caught her chewing on it, and yelled at her. She's 10 months old now, and he said that she was throwing up and wouldn't eat...

Damn You Crabgrass! [ 7 Answers ]

How can I get rid of this grass once its started growing?

View more questions Search