Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngstyMeierLink Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Viacom says it will shut down my internet unless.
    I received an email from my ISP saying that my service could possibly be shut down unless I give Viacom my computer drive so they can scan it because they have reason to believe I shared a Star Trek movie on the net through bit torrent.

I talked to my friend and he says he's gotten like 50 of these notices and that they mean nothing and nothing has ever been done to him, but I wanted a second opinion. I did download the Star Trek movie in question, but only to preview it to see if I liked it, and if I did I would go out and buy it. I didn't and so I deleted it and I never let it seed. How serious is this? I know Viacom and the MPAA are going on a rampage lately so could this just be scare tactics?
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
    It's all from the music flap a yrs ago and copyrights. It could be they are serious, but I'm not sure they have the right to ask you for your drive. It is a legal question after all. If you don't want to spent a few bucks on a consultation with a lawyer (some charge a minimum fee for you to ask a question), try ACLU. Maybe their web site has info on this or they could tell you what you need to know.
    AngstyMeierLink Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Thanks, I actually talked to my ISP and they said that the MPAA did NOT contact me on their behalf. My service will not be shut down as long as they don't receive another notice from them. So it was just trying to scare me. Well I guess the golden age of the internet has been destroyed by out of touch geriatrics...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

How do I enable the internet with kaspersky internet security 7 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my kaspersky internet security I can't open the internet when the protection is working http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/7439/38594235qz4.png But I can open the internet by stoping the protection http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3222/75511457gi6.png

How do I enable the internet with kaspersky internet security 7 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my kaspersky internet security I can't open the internet when the protection is working But I can open the internet by stoping the protection So I want to enable the protection and open the internet in the same time... Is here enybody help me,please

How do I check a company or Internet Site with the Internet Better Business Bureau? [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find a company or Internet Website, that has not certificate etc. How do I check them out with the BBB for the Internet?

View more questions Search