Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davebloomer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
    A/C won't cool below 77
    My AC had been working fine all summer until about 2 weeks ago it started making noise on startup. Well last night the fan burnt up so I replaced it and all is well, right? Well, no now it won't cool below 77 degrees. I had a heat/air guy come out to install the motor so I know it isn't that but he left as soon as the cool air started coming out... It was 79 degrees then and now just cools to 77 and stays running the whole time. Any ideas? :confused:

For the record this A/C has been cooling this house for years with no issues whatsoever. So it isn't a sq ft/ to a/c size issue
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Call the repair man back. It could be a weak compressor and you can only tell that with a set of gauges.

Also is the motor spinning in the correct direction outside?

When was the last time the outside coils were cleaned?

Jul 11, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Call the repair man back. It could be a weak compressor and you can only tell that with a set of gauges.

Also is the motor spinning in the correct direction outside?

When was the last time the outside coils were cleaned?

The meter seems to be spinning the same direction. It just speeds up A lot when the AC is on. (which is frusterating in itself.. )

I know when he was here he had three guages hooked up on it (look the same as used to put in freeon on a vehicle)

I have no clue about the coils as we have only owned this house 2 months and I know we haven't done it, so I am assuming AT BEST last summer.

Unfortunately they aren't open on saturdays and I can't imagine the charge for calling them in.

Is it possible the motor burning up had ill effects on the compressor? Otherwise how did this all happen at the same time? It would cool from 80 to 72 in about 2-3 hours before.

Jul 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Since I am not there I cannot really answer any of those questions

Sometimes things do happen at the same time but rare.

I would question why he had his gauges on the unit for just a motor repair and if he did have them on the unit he would have told you that you unit was short on refrigerant right then and there. Interesting but if he says your unit is short on refrigerant when he shows up to repair it I would have to ask them why since it was OK before they touched it. Could be a scam going on.

Replace the motor and leak a bit of gas out so that the customer will have to call them back to pay for the gas it needs now. Just a thought.

If the temperature has become hotter outside that could be a reason the unit is having a hard time keeping up.

You will have to have it looked at next week. I bet they charge a bunch of bucks for weekend service.

Jul 11, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Thanks for the help!

I may not have stated this clearly
    I replaced the motor myself, then when it wouldn't cool below 77 I got with them and told them exactly that.. so he checked out the motor/wiring (did some changes) and apparently freeon levels... But it was not cooling below 77 before he came either.. He was a very nice old man. Maybe 75 years old or so.

Jul 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
    If the air filter is clean and all registers are open that is about all you can do unless you have the tools,knowledge, and a EPA permit to dispense refrigerant.

What I am trying to say is you probably have a sealed system problem.

Now you might try and clean the outside unit. Do a search on this site for that because it has been mentioned so many times and directions given. Make sure you turn the power OFF before cleaning .
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:35 PM
    For the record this A/C has been cooling this house for years with no issue whatsoever. So it isn't a sq ft/ to a/c size issue

I have no clue about the coils as [we have only owned this house 2 months ]and I know we haven't done it, so I am assuming AT BEST last summer.

I`m confused
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
    I'm not sure how you know the system has been cooling for years if you have only lived in the house for 2 months??

Jul 12, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    I'm not sure how you know the system has been cooling for years if you have only lived in the house for 2 months???
    We bought it from a friend. A friend who's wife likes it COLD I'm talking 67 year round.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XE1000- won't cool, blows, [ 3 Answers ]

Manufactured in 2000, 40 rated fuse outside next to unit, 45 at main power box, won't cool, hear light buzz or hum from external unit, I can replace anything needs replacing on the outside, on a budget, need to know what to trouble shoot, seems fuses are good. :mad:

New AC unit won't cool temp past 77 F [ 10 Answers ]

This is an upstairs 2 ton unit for aprox 1300/1400 sq ft. (central) Old unit (same as above) use to get the upstairs as cold as we wanted, But so far this summer it did not, After repeated service to the unit w/o any improvement, We had it replaced. The old unit started running non stop...

4 Wire thermostat won't cool [ 8 Answers ]

Our old thermostat display stopped working but the thermostat would still turn on it would just shut off right away. So I assumed it was just broken. I bought a new thermostat and now the fan and heat work but hot air comes out when it is on cool. The wires we have are: Green Yellow Blue...

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

Installed digital therm. Won't cool [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a digital thermostat and the heat works, but the cool doesn't! Is it wiring?:mad:

View more questions Search