Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dejavaboom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Paint over wallpaper?
    I am admittedly lazy and do not want to strip off wall paper. It's on good, no bulges, bubbles, tears, etc, so I was hoping to apply joint compound in a thin glaze to texturize, then prime, then paint.

Question is: can I do all that ON TOP of wall paper? It's a paper, not vinyl/plastic paper, and maybe if I sand it lightly or perf it some, would the compound and paint layers "stick" okay??

Thanks.
    MLJ
    mels mom Posts: 39, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Its been done. But I wouldn't advise it. It could peel and just get bumpy and look real bad
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 11:13 PM
    If you are too lazy to remove the wallpaper before painting hire someone to do it for you. A teenager perhaps. It's summer, teens are summer job happy!
    columbr Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Jul 13, 2008, 09:27 AM
    If your paper is in generally good shape make sure you paste down the paper wherever it bubbles or peals from a seam. Give it 24 hours to dry. Prime the walls using two coats of a tinted oil/alkyd based primer sealer that compliments your paint color. Afterwards you can use a latex based paint for your finish coat.
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Jul 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by columbr
    If your paper is in generally good shape make sure you paste down the paper wherever it bubbles or peals from a seam. Give it 24 hours to dry. Prime the walls using two coats of a tinted oil/alkyd based primer sealer that compliments your paint color. Afterwards you can use a latex based paint for your finish coat.
    I recommend cutting loose paper out rather than pasting it down and then priming over the wallpaper (oil base.) Once the primer dries, spackle imperfections as needed and spot prime spackle once it dries, then apply your finish coats.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jul 27, 2008, 02:09 AM
    I painted the wallpaper in my bedroom. It was in great condition. I got primer tinted close to the paint color to prime the walls and then painted away. It looks great and has been on for about 5 years. I did have to get an exacto knife and trim along the ceiling and I pulled the base boards away from the wall a little before painting. I did remove the wall paper in the bathroom before painting though. I didn't add any texture since the texture from the walls showed through the wallpaper after I painted them.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 03:24 AM
    You can paint over wallpaper, but I wouldn't advise it. But, it does depend on how you want the finished product to look. If your not really picky about the final results, then doing it would be okay as long as the existing wallpaper was on really securely.

Sometimes the wallpaper isn't on really securely, and any moisture of any kind, applied directly to it can cause it to bubble or come away from the wall at the seams. But, then again, it depends on what you want the finished product to look like.

It doesn't take all that much time to remove wallpaper if you do the proper preparation and use the correct tools.

As ChihuahuaMamma said "It's summer, teens are summer job happy!"

Just my take on things here...
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jul 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    You can paint over wallpaper, but I wouldn't advise it. But, it does depend on how you want the finished product to look. If your not really picky about the final results, then doing it would be okay as long as the existing wallpaper was on really securely.

Sometimes the wallpaper isn't on really securely, and any moisture of any kind, applied directly to it can cause it to bubble or come away from the wall at the seams. But, then again, it depends on what you want the finished product to look like.

It doesn't take all that much time to remove wallpaper if you do the proper preparation and use the correct tools.

As ChihuahuaMamma said "It's summer, teens are summer job happy!"

Just my take on things here...
    I sized my walls before putting up the wallpaper and you can't tell I painted over it. If you are going to go through all the trouble of putting joint compound on it then I suggest you find a place that won't be noticeable and try removing a small piece by dampening it first. See what the condition of the wall is under it. If it is bad then I would paint over the existing. My sister-in-law had wallpaper professionally removed and since is wasn't sized first it peeled off the layer of paper from the sheetrock. Room looked horrible and took a lot of work to get it looking good again. My bathroom wallpaper came off easily since I had the sizing under it. This picture doesn't give my wall justice-it is a solid gold color.
    [ATTACH]Name:  bedroom wall2.jpg
Views: 9837
Size:  96.6 KB[/ATTACH]
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
    vic_segovia You can paint over wallpaper, but I wouldn't advise it.
    Every wallcovering has a different personality “so to speak” therefore
    The approach and method of remove will vary. In addition, some wallcoverings WERE NOT installed properly using industry standard conditions and procedures. I have seen many wallcoverings installed directly over “bare drywall” and quite frankly, this is one of the worse “wallcovering removal” case scenarios.

The most common types of wallcoverings I see today are as follows;
    1) Vinyl coated paper.
    2) Paper backed Vinyl.
    3) Fabric backed Vinyl.

Wallcoverings - 2 & 3, I would NEVER recommend painting over. However, Vinyl coated paper is an exception.

My motto is: “if you can remove the wallcovering without severely damaging the walls - remove it” and if you are up against one of those extremely difficult papers to remove - plan to paint over the wallcovering using the following procedures;

Remove any loose paper with a single edge razor and feather areas with spackle, then cut or shave down any protruding seams - then apply spackle to all seams (from the ceiling to floor) and any other areas where needed, then thoroughly sand. Step 2 - apply (2) coats of an oil base primer (brush & roll.) Step 3 - apply two finish coats.

vic_segovia any moisture of any kind, applied directly to it can cause it to bubble or come away from the wall at the seams.
    Wallpaper paste is a water based product and ONLY a water based paint/product can chemically cause bubbling or loss of adhesion.
    Applying two coats of an oil base primer over top of the paper, will create a vapor barrier and prevent any bubbling or loss of adhesion and give adequate surface for a latex finish to be applied.

vic_segovia It doesn't take all that much time to remove wallpaper if you do the proper preparation and use the correct tools.
    FACT: Some papers are a nightmare to remove and there isn't a tool in the world that can save you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to remove Wallpaper [ 7 Answers ]

What is the best way in removing Wallpaper? I need help in this area.

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

We are having trouble removing one layer of wallpaper from our bathroom. We bought a steamer, but even that won't budge the glue off the dry wall. Any secrets

Bollywood wallpaper [ 1 Answers ]

Amrita rao latest wallpapers

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Taking off Wallpaper to paint [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper in a bathroom so I can paint and there isn't a bunch of glue left over? Someone told me to rent a steamer? Does that work?

View more questions Search