Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandy2000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Life insurance
    Hi my husband's life insurance is with his ex-wife name. He didn't change it. But his name is over there as a owner. Does his life insurance belong to her after he pass away?
    Thanks
    Sandy
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
    If she is the beneficiary still, yes she will get the life insurance when he passes.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. I believe there are three things for you to find out: who is the insured? Who is the beneficiary? And who is the owner of the policy? Either take out a new policy on your husband's life for you, or get the policy changed to reflect his change in circumstances. If his ex-wife is the owner, there may be nothing you can do about the policy, except get a new one. Are you aware of any requirement in his divorce decree to keep life insurance?

Jul 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Life insurance
    Sorry I didn't get your answer. They are divorced, and he gives her just child support and his life insurance is still with her name, does he can change his life insurance to another name? And if they are divorced and his life insurance with his ex-wife name,so his life insurance doesn't beling to me ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Life insurance proceeds go to the listed beneficiary unless that benenficiary predeceases the insured. Then it goes into the insured's estate. So if he doesn't want it to go to the ex, then he needs to change the beneficiary.

P.S. Please post any follow-up within this thread, don't start a new one.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Your husband may have been ordered, or he may have agreed, to keep life insurance in the event of his death while owing child support. If you can, please review the declarations page of the policy; it will show who owns the policy. It will also show who the initial beneficiary was or is. If the ex-wife owns the policy, there is nothing he or you can do about changing the beneficiary.

Jul 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Thanks for answering me. Regarding to your question the life's insurance's name the owner is with my husband's name but the insured name is with his ex-wife's name.
    So my question is does anything belong to her ? Or just her name is over there because she was his wife before.
    Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy2000
    Thanks for answering me...the life's insurance's name the owner is with my husband's name but the insured name is with his ex-wife's name.
    So my question is does anything belong to her ? or just her name is over there because she was his wife before.
    thanks
    I am not understanding your question: "the insured name is with his ex-wife's name" is confusing me, sorry. You need to find out whether your husband owns the policy. If he does, he can tell you who receives the insurance proceeds in the event of the insured's death (i.e. who the beneficiary is).

Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
    I checked it . In his insurance form there is a name that insured name that is his ex-wife's name and the policy owner is his name . In the death benefit option is level and in his benefit and riders there is nothing. What does it mean ?would you please tell me more?
    Thanks
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
    OP states in her original post that her husband is the 'owner' of the policy and ex wife is the beneficiary.

Sometime sandy 2000, the beneficiary of an insurance policy never gets changed for whatever reason, forgotten or whatever. At times the beneficiary is not changed on a life insurance policy because of a stipulation in the divorce papers.

Your need to remind your husband that he still has is ex wife as the beneficiary on his life insuance policy. You are his present wife and if possible should be the beneficiary unless there is a good reason you ar enot.

Jul 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
    I don't know about her beneficiary. But the form show that my husband is the owner of policy and his ex wife's name is in front of the insured name .so my question is that the owner policy is not with her name so does this ensurance belong to her or no after my husband ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy2000
    I checked it . in his insurance form there is a name that insured name that is his ex-wife's name and the policy owner is his name . in the death benefit option is level and in his benefit and riders there is nothing. what does it mean ?would you please tell me more?
    thanks
    Sounds like your husband is the owner and beneficiary of a life insurance policy on his ex-wife, meaning that if the ex-wife dies he will get the insurance benefits.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Its kind of hard to judge what it is unless the paperwork is right in front you and the insurance policy can be viewed. Insurance companies don't have a standard procedure, or standard form and sometimes there is a lot of legalise to go along with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
    There are three people involved with a life insurance policy. The owner, who pays the premiums, the insured, who's life is insured and the beneficiary who gets the proceeds when the insured dies. They can't all be the same, specifically, the insured can't be the beneficiary. But the owner can be the beneficiary, the owner can also be the insured, in which case someone else would be the beneficiary.

If his ex-wife is the insured, then its HER life that's insured. So if she dies, the beneficiary of the policy gets paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Life Insurance Help [ 9 Answers ]

I Need Help Understanding All The Different Types Of Life Insureance. Where Can I Find Decent Rates For Being A 36 Year Old Male. The Quotes I Have Received Seem Off The Wall Compared To The Rates My Co-workers Pay.

Life Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Dear readres... Im submitting my question again with details, kindly answer with knowledge based information. Q: I want to buy a Life Insurance Policy, but some of my friends stop me by this and told me that this is Haraam, I'm confused now and seeking answer that weather we should buy it or...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Life Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if selling Life Insurace is a good career.

Life insurance [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find what life insurance company my grandma took out on my dad when he was alive. There is seven children all but one paid for his funeral. The one child that did not pay anything said there is a life ins. Policy and she wants a copy of the death certificate. She will not talk to any of...

View more questions Search