Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elemay Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Dripping in wall after running cold water in bathroom only
    After I run the cold water in the shower, toilet & bathroom there is a dripping sound.. in the wall... this last for a little while and disappears...

Does not happen when I run the cold water in any other part of the house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
    You could have a small drain leak or even a supply leak after the valve. Its likely pipes expanding and contracting and rubbing on the framining. The expansion of pipes can sound just like a drip.

Jul 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You could have a small drain leak or even a supply leak after the valve. Its likely pipes expanding and contracting and rubbing on the framining. The expansion of pipes can sound just like a drip.
    Thank you... I did forget one important thing... this drip sound has been occurring for about 3 days... when I checked the floor on the other side of the br wall... there was a small amount of water there. Since then I have been checking but no more water... would this definitely be a leak or is there anything like condensation on a cold pipe in the summer??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Condensation would likely happen every summer and this just started in the past few days. Sounds like it's a new leak. Try to get a test on just one fixture several times and keep moving to another fixture until the pudle reappears. Let at least a few hours past before moving to another fixture.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Suggest you use a pail of water from somewhere else in the house to do Bob's test, just to make sure that nothing is happening on the supply side to confuse the issue.

Jul 12, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Condensation would likely happen every summer and this just started in the past few days. Sounds like its a new leak. Try to get a test on just one fixture several times and keep moving to another fixture until the pudle reappears. Let at least a few hours past before moving to another fixture.
    Just wanted to let you know what the problem was (although not sure how this works).. directly on the outside wall of the bathroom is an outdoor faucet. The pipe to this faucet is in the same wall as the drip and behind the sink and toilet of the bathroom. I went outside and disconnected the hose. The hose was full of water to the faucet although it had been turned off.

I hooked up the hose later and now when I flush the toilet or run the water in the sink there is no drip sound.. there absolutely was a drip for several days after using these 2 and running the cold water. Never from the shower which is on the opposite wall.

Can't figure it out but no dripping since... would be interested if you have any theories as you seem knowledgeable in these things

Ele

Jul 12, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Is that a frost proof hose bib?

Jul 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Is that a frost proof hose bib?

I looked up a picture of a frost proof hose bib (not knowing what that was) and it is not.. it is an old fashion faucet.. probably put in in 1960's..

Jul 13, 2008, 08:04 AM
    OK, a bursted frost proof could have caused a leak like you described. Better check the hose bib and see if you can figure out how it could be leaking after the shut off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water tap running cold [ 5 Answers ]

When I run my bath hot water tap it runs hot for about 2-3 minutes then cold 1-2 minutes then never gets pipeing hot again but down stairs the hot water tap is fine?

No running COLD water upstairs in bathroom sink/bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have NO cold running water coming out of bathroom taps . The hot is running fine. This just happened all of a sudden with no cause I can think of. I have both cold and hot water downstairs running fine. The bathroom is upstairs. Can you help me Thanks .

Dripping water sound inside the wall [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved in to an 8-year old 3-floor townhouse. I noticed the dripping water sound in the wasll after showering. The sound is very clear in the third floor, and dims a little in the second and almost gone away in the first floor. The sound keeps for a while and then disappears. I could not find...

No cold water from wall tap [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, For the past few weeks the cold water tap that flows into the washing machine has been working some days, not on others. I can't seem to locate a pattern on when/why it decides to work. The hot water always works. I thought it might have been the washing machine, but nothing is coming from...

Cold water is just dripping... why? [ 1 Answers ]

We've lived in our slab ranch for 15 years. Over the past 7 or so years, we've noticed a slow in cold water pressure, to the point that right now it's just dripping out of the washer (it takes me 1:15 to wash one load in cold) and we're almost being scalded when we shower. Any ideas?

View more questions Search