Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZOEY12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Should an administrative assistant be hourly or salary wage?
    Is an administrative assistant position an hourly or salary wage job?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 10, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Totally depends on the company.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOEY12
    Is an administrative assistant position an hourly or salary wage job?

Depends on whether they want to pay you overtime, holidays, etc. It varies and there are benefits to both.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Whether an administrative assistant is hourly (non exempt) or salaried (exempt) depends on how the job is classified according to the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act).

An employer can classify any employee hourly (non exempt) with no restrictions, but in order to classify an employee as salaried (exempt) the job must meat the guidelines and rules for the specific exemption as laid out by the FLSA.

The difference in hourly (non exempt) and salaried (exempt) is as follows:

An hourly (non exempt) employee is not exempt from the FLSA which means that this employee is paid per every hour worked. It also means that if more than 40 hours are worked in any one week this employee must be paid overtime which is time and a half regular pay.

A salaried (exempt) employee is paid for the job being done. That means that hours do not mean anything in the working of this employee. They are not paid on how many hours they work, but they are paid on whether the job they have been given to do is done. They are exempt from the FLSA so no overtime is earned or paid. They also cannot be docked pay for a partial day of absence.

If the job matches the FLSA exemption it is at the companies option whether they with to make it an exempt job or pay it as an hourly job.

Shirley
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty
    Whether an administrative assistant is hourly (non exempt) or salaried (exempt) depends on how the job is classified according to the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act).

An employer can classify any employee hourly (non exempt) with no restrictions, but in order to classify an employee as salaried (exempt) the job must meat the guidelines and rules for the specific exemption as laid out by the FLSA.

The difference in hourly (non exempt) and salaried (exempt) is as follows:

An hourly (non exempt) employee is not exempt from the FLSA which means that this employee is paid per every hour worked. It also means that if more than 40 hours are worked in any one week this employee must be paid overtime which is time and a half regular pay.

A salaried (exempt) employee is paid for the job being done. That means that hours do not mean anything in the working of this employee. They are not paid on how many hours they work, but they are paid on whether or not the job they have been given to do is done. They are exempt from the FLSA so no overtime is earned or paid. They also cannot be docked pay for a partial day of absence.

If the job matches the FLSA exemption it is at the companies option whether they with to make it an exempt job or pay it as an hourly job.

Shirley

And I've seen jobs restructured because the employer wants the employee to be in one category or another - it's all a matter of phrasing.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 11, 2008, 06:19 AM
    You are correct, it is how the job description is written and the duties are spelled out. Basically it is at the option of the company.

Shirley
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty
    You are correct, it is how the job description is written and the duties are spelled out. Basically it is at the option of the company.

Shirley

And once the words "mandatory overtime" entered the picture, lots of people suddenly found themselves in management! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Salary of a chiropractic therapy assistant [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently offered a position at a chiropractor's office. They told me I could take a 50 hour course and become a CTA. On average, how much money does a CTA make per hour?

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Administrative Assistant [ 2 Answers ]

I am acting for a staff assistant while she is away on vacation and would like to send out an email to the employees I will be assisting letting them know of my availability and services. Please send me a sample letter of what I should inlclude in the email. Thanks

Salary & Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

I currently work for an organization as a salaried employee. They want to hire me for some night hours at a different department. My question is... since I am salary at one job are the hours at the second job eligible for overtime? I will work about 20 hours at the night job. I want to know what is...

Salary Vs. Hourly [ 5 Answers ]

I understand the difference between exempt and non-exempt and how to actually pay them, but are there any legal ramifications for not paying someone that is salary for a sick day if they have exhausted all of their paid time off benefits? Toni Davis [email protected]

View more questions Search