Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pratikkothari1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Can I Opt Not be considered An EXEMPT individual?
    Hello,

I am trying to decide whether I need to file resident or non-resident tax return. Here is my situation:
    For year 2003 and 2004, I was on F1 and filed 1040 NR with 8843 claiming exemption for the substantial presence test.
    For year 2005, I was on F1 from 1st Jan to 30th Sep, and H1-B from Oct 1st till year end. I got married in November and bought a house too. According to my calculations, I get more money back if I file a RESIDENT tax return as I can file Married Filing Jointly and take standard deduction of 10,000$ which is not available when I file non-resident. But the substantial presence test says that I was an exempt individual from Jan 1st to 30th Sep, so I should not count those days and I will be considered a non-resident.:confused:

Please suggest if there is a way I can file a resident tax return.

Thanks in advance
    Pratik
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Pratik:

Yes, you can file as a resident alien, but you must wait until June to file under First Year Choice. The time under F-1 visa is exempt from the Substantial Presence Test. You must qualify under the Substantial Presence Test to file as a resident alien. That is why you must wait until June 2006, to first qualify under the Substantial Presence Test.

File Form 4868 to get an extension to file. Since you get money back, no payment will be required.

Once June 1st passes, you can then file Form 1040 with Schedule A. You must attach a statement regarding the First Year Choice (see IRS Pub 519 as to what needs to be on the statement).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intolerance, It should be considered a sin? [ 124 Answers ]

Okay, on the thread of reincarnation. Another member brought up an excellent point about intolerance. I was the one that started the thread of reincarnation and it went off topic. Which is expected I guess, but instead of continuing there I think this heading from another member is an excellent...

How to Setting up a Architec Individual Practices... [ 3 Answers ]

What is the process and procedures of registration and setting up of the Architect individual practices? Please give me some information about this. And please give me more information about architect.:confused:

Individual fixture venting during re-model [ 3 Answers ]

I am preparing to convert two 2nd floor closets into a second full bath (toilet, shower, and lav) in our circa 1940 house. The closets are adjacent to the existing bath so I can gain access to main drain/vent and water supply. Most of the information that I have read recommends individually...

Am I considered an adult at these circumstances [ 4 Answers ]

Porter County, Indiana My 18th birthday is on July 22nd, just a few more days. Currently I've been on juvenile probation since last September. I understand that when I reach 18 I have reached "age of majority" and I am legally allowed to vote, sign binding contract, and take full...

View more questions Search