Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 10, 2008, 04:57 AM
    I have had enough
    A little over a year ago my brother got a new puppy for him and his girlfriend who were renting the basement of someone's house, soon after they got the puppy they broke up and my brother moved back home, taking his dog with him. My brother works most of the day and as a result he doesn't really take care of him, its usually my mom who does and sometimes me.

I love dogs and of course wouldn't mind helping out. But as the dog grew he was not trained properly and no one took responsibility for him. Every one loves to pet the dog but when it comes to disciplining him or simple things like untangling his rope nobody wants to. I've put up with a lot of stuff that this dog has done(chewed 2 pairs of my shoes, and no one replaced them, he even chased my 2 cats away). I realize that this is not the dogs fault but nobody will take responsibility for him and I know I shouldn't but I now want nothing to do with this dog I know that makes me sound like a terrible person but he chased my cats away, one of which I have seen only once after that dog came to live with us, for all I know that cat is dead on the side of the road some where. Every one in my family passes it off like nothing though. He gets away with everything. Last night I saw a side of him though that I don't want near my dog .When some one came up the driveway he started growling and barking and his hackles were raised we(my mom and me) tried to settle him down but he would not listen. I know if he were not tied he would have attacked he was in full blown attack mode. As he did this Rex stayed about 15 ft. from the car and stood there tail wagging and ears back in a submissive posture and let out 2 barks which I automatically corrected him for. I don't want this dog near Rex I am scarred to death that some how my brothers dogs actions will influence Rex's actions. But every time I talk to my mom she says that she doesn't want to hear it. What do I do?
    Sorry for the long question:o
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
    I don't think you have to worry about Rex being influenced by this other dog, because Rex sounds pretty well set in his ways and well trained. I don't know what to say about the other dog, other then you,a s a responsible dog owner has to step up to the plate and get this dog under control and maybe after, find a decent home for him.

Jul 10, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Thanks tickle.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 11, 2008, 06:19 PM
    If nobody wants to assume responsibility, then you should.The dog might respect you more in that sense.

Jul 12, 2008, 03:26 AM
    The dog just doesn't want to listen. I try to correct him but he just doesn't listen. I've delt with a lot of things with Rex and have experience from that, but this dog is really stubborn. And it seems like people in my house aren't to great with concictency. Its just me and my mom home most of the day and if I'm not there and he starts barking and growling at people going up my neighbours driveway there is no one to correct him. So he is only corrected half of the time. And assuming the responsibility isn't all that easy as it sounds, I can't always be there to take care of him either, I wish we could find another home for him but unfortunately its not my choice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 04:33 AM
    If it isn't your choice, rex, then you have to convince you brother to help find another home for the dog he doesn't want. The problem is though, that dog will be a challenge to anyone taking him on, but all that's needed is patient and kindness.

I hate a dog tied up all the time. Its like being in prison, and he probably knows it.

Jul 12, 2008, 04:59 AM
    The dog isn't tied up all the time he is inside with us and if they need to go out than we tie them. Its unsafe for him to run free because he's constantly travelling and always on the road.
    hiwiseguy Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Your actions will influence your dog's. NOT the other dog's actions.
    mrsvilla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 08:01 PM
    If you are keeping this dog restrained all of the time, it has to release its energy somehow. Also, intact males are generally more aggressive than neutered males. All dogs need the basic food, shelter, and water, but it doesn't stop there. They need excersise, affection, and discpline. A tired dog is a happy dog. Small dogs should walk for at least 30 minutes a day, large dogs up to a mile. I hope this helps :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search