Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N4SIR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
    From glancing at the Act, it appears to me that it isn't intended to prohibit me from asking my bank where my check was deposited.
    True. The act is intended to prohibit the use of deceptive means to obtain a bank customer's financial information.

§ 6821. Privacy protection for customer information of financial institutions
    (a) Prohibition on obtaining customer information by false pretenses
    It shall be a violation of this subchapter for any person to obtain or attempt to obtain, or cause to be disclosed or attempt to cause to be disclosed to any person, customer information of a financial institution relating to another person—
    (1) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution;
    (2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution; or
    (3) by providing any document to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, knowing that the document is forged, counterfeit, lost, or stolen, was fraudulently obtained, or contains a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation.

This ,of course, would not preclude a valid purchase by check.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N4SIR View Post
    ... to obtain ... customer information of a financial institution ...
    (2) by making a ...fraudulent ... representation to a customer of a financial institution; or
    (3) by providing any document to ... a financial institution, ...[/I]

This ,of course, would not preclude a valid purchase by check.
    Nor would it preclude sending a valid check to a customer of a bank unless it were accompanied by some sort of false representation like "here is payment for the money I owe you." And of course subsection (3) wouldn't apply because the drawer of the check would not be directly providing that document to the bank.
    N4SIR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 09:47 PM
    Nor would it preclude sending a valid check to a customer of a bank unless it were accompanied by some sort of false representation like "here is payment for the money I owe you."
    (2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution

I believe a judge would rule that your check, without a valid purpose, is a false representation.

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N4SIR View Post
    ... I believe a judge would rule that your check, without a valid purpose, is a false representation.
    The only thing represented on a check is that there is a given amount of money in the account.

Furthermore, the hypothetical judge would consider the purpose of the legislation, which has nothing to do with this "Trojan check" tactic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levy on bank account after making payments on judgment [ 4 Answers ]

We had a lawsuit against our landlord in late January resulting in a judgment against us. We have made payments to the landlord since the judgment for two months now and sent payment as recently as last week and have receipt. I tried to use my account yesterday and all 3 accounts (personal,...

Can they levy a corporate account if the judgment is personal [ 1 Answers ]

They levied my personal bank account. It is a credit card judgment, can they also levy my corporate account? Logic dictates that they can not because it is a separate entity. We all know that logic is for idiots so that's why I am inquiring. Thank you.

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

View more questions Search