How to answer " What are ur strength & weaknesses?"
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Strengths
    You work well with people
    You are on time and get the job done
    You follow orders/directions well

Weaknesses (like anybody wants to really admit to them)
    JuliaPenny Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Tailor your strengths to the job and highlight why they qualify you as the right candidate for the vacancy. Candidates often find it hard to verbalize their strengths, so spend some time thinking about this before the interview.
    Ajayarora Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 01:51 AM
    As far as I am concerened I can remain calm under crises.I am always told that I am bit too slow... but that's only because I want to do the best job I can,I have an ability to cope with failures and try to learn from my mistakes,also I am well organised and like to be clean with all my work.I am a bit sensitive towards criticism,next to it as I preferred to work hard I take other people for granted to do the same.I believe I should be improving upon myself good or bad.I used to have trouble with procastinatin but now I have learned to write down list of things that I need to do.I have found that this not only help me to do the things on time,but it also help me to be more organised.

ALL THE BEST.. :)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 07:29 AM

I'm searching for a job myself, so am not an expert on employment but aI can share that I've always been advised to find something that's challenging that's not a real weakness. I would never give more than one weakness.

Whatever weakness you present, couch it in an explanation of how you are overcoming it - you can admit you are working on something, but have a well-considered plan in place for being successful in overcoming it.

For example it might be something like,

"I'm an impactful communicator and public speaker and can be a strong advocate. Often, I'm called upon to speak on behalf of groups of which I'm a part, and I'm often brought in to smooth over difficult situations such as the upset of a particularly difficult client".

As for a weakness, I might then say:

"Unfortunately, at times I've been taken advantage of as the voice of a group and have been used moreorless like a canary in a coal mine. Other people give me their controversial information to present, then hide behind me to see how it's recieved. I've learned it's a no-win situation in which to place myself, so I've changed my approach entirely."

"Now, if the presentation is controversial, I will only speak for others if I am the manager of the group - I will not speak for a peer or superior in those situations unless it's made very clear by them that I am speaking with their authority and at their personal request. Otherwise, I will gladly help others put together their presentation, but each person has to put their own face and voice behind their part. That way, if information is well recieved, credit is fairly and equitably shared. If information is not well recieved, the team is together in defending that information or position."

Another weakness I've relied upon at times is that I tend to "take on too much". This gives me an opportunity to discuss how I manage time, and determine for each new project whether it serves the core mission or not, and based on that, what kind of turnaround time I can reasonably offer the person who's giving me the assignment.
    Linda Griffin Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2009, 09:08 AM
    For your strengths, think back to previous jobs or classes and pick out the things that you really enjoyed doing. Chances are these are the things that you're really good at and are strengths. For example if you're the one who everybody looks to when a decision needs to be made, you've got great leadership skills.

For weaknesses, I recommend avoiding the word weakness when you respond. Instead pick one thing that you would like to learn if you get hired and talk about that. It subtly changes the response from a negative to a positive.

My upcoming Webinar

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are men afraid of showing their weaknesses [ 12 Answers ]

Are men afraid of showing their weaknesses partly out of fear of women exploiting them?

What are some of your weaknesses? [ 1 Answers ]

One of the most common questions I've been asked in an interview was "what are your strengths" and "what are your weaknesses"... I know what my strengths are, but here's my problem... what is a "good" weakness to mention that wouldn't prevent me from getting the job? Personally, I have NO...

View more questions Search