Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    Progunr I agree people who want to live in a country should know the official language but since the US has no official language which language should they learn? And really since this land was stolen from Native Americans shouldn't we all be speaking the language of the native Americans who were actually here first?Attachment 10060
    It doesn't take some politician to declare that English is the official language of America.

If we want to run the clock back over 2 hundred years, sure, lets all learn Native American.

What should we choose, Sioux, Cherokee, Choctaw or what?

There was no "Nation" back then, so each tribe was free to speak their own language.

When the white terrorists arrived, they learned to speak English, and most Native Americans speak English now.

To pretend that just because someone has not "declared" an official language for America, that there is none, is a bit ridiculous.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Progunr I agree people who want to live in a country should know the official language but since the US has no official language which language should they learn?
    That of course was what Obama addressed in his flippant and arrogant way.He regrets that we are not European but we are who we are. I don't particularly care how we are perceived and it is my experience that the perception of the Ugly American is mostly hyped up by the elites and inaccurate.

The link I posted to above shows Canada has two languages BOTH considered OFFICIAL languages of the state.
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Jul 10, 2008, 12:05 PM
    You know I think that some American's are out of control. Our children are at the bottom of the totem pole in regards to the education level compared to other countries. This shouldn't even be a debate. I think that this whole thing started as another way to scrutinize Obama. The man just can't win for losing. Why not make it mandatory that all children learn spanish? I think that it should be a requirement on both ends of the spectrum. If spanish people want to come to America, make them learn english. Furthermore english speaking children should learn to speak spanish. Look at how rapidly the spanish community is growing in America. Tell me how the requirement of a child learning to speak spanish is a disadvantage again? No, no we don't want our children getting better jobs in and out of our country. (sarcasm, for all of you think may take my last statement literally) Peruse the want ads, how many of them say BILINGUAL IS A MUST? I don't care if Obama passes a law that says that all children must attend school 12hours a days with no summer breaks and one day off a week. Guess what? I am all for it. No one should ever make a stink about any form of education forced or not. I want my child to have a competitive advantage. I want my child to be a productive member of society. If it means me paying more taxes out of my pocket to do so then so be it, because in the long run I won't be paying to build new prisons, I won't have to pay that much to aide in the war on drugs and crime. To many people look at the short run and it never occurs to them to take the long run into consideration.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fjsmith81
    You know I think that some American's are out of control. Our children are at the bottom of the totem pole in regards to the education level compared to other countries. This shouldn't even be a debate...I don't care if Obama passes a law that says that all children must attend school 12hours a days with no summer breaks and one day off a week. Guess what? I am all for it. No one should ever make a stink about any form of education forced or not. I want my child to have a competitive advantage. I want my child to be a productive member of society. If it means me paying more taxes out of my pocket to do so then so be it, becuase in the long run I won't be paying to build new prisons, i won't have to pay that much to aide in the war on drugs and crime. To many people look at the short run and it never occurs to them to take the long run into consideration.
    Nothing personal intended, smithy, but you sound like a good fascist!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
    She is 16
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    that of course was what Obama addressed in his flippant and arrogant way.
    Evidence that he was flippant and arrogant?

He regrets that we are not European
    When did he say that?

I don't particularily care how we are perceived and it is my experience that the perception of the Ugly American is mostly hyped up by the elites and inaccurate.
    Sorry but you're wrong there. I've had the opportunity to travel Europe and have seen it first hand.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
    It is nice knowing a little Spanish I tell the guys down the street Usted está loco en la cabeza
    Then they start speaking Espanol to me and I reply No hablo en Espanol

Jul 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Nothing personal intended, smithy, but you sound like a good fascist!
    I don't agree with that. I am not a fascist. I am not looking for a quick fix. Like I said I am looking at the long term picture. When I think of fascism I think of Hitler and how would what I said compare to that of Hitler's ideology?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
    No one is pretending anything we have no official language period. Just because a majority of the people speak English doesn't make it official. If someone is too lazy or close minded to learn a new language they are going to get left behind in the future. I think that scares a lot of people. It is much easier to sit there and complain that "I'm not going to learn a new language they should learn what i already know" then it is to actually adapt and learn a new language. As far as what native American language we would speak we should have learned them all since the tribes did stretch from east to west and north to south.

Tom actually I have met a quite a few people from Europe and when they find out I know Spanish and Italian they all say they same thing. So you aren't one of those typical stupid Americans. And to be honest that makes me smile to know I am not looked at as a fat McDonald's eating English only speaking ignorant American.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
    I don't agree with that. I am not a fascist. I am not looking for a quick fix. like i said i am looking at the long term picture. When I think of fascism I think of Hitler and how would what I said compare to that of Hitler's ideology?
    Do you agree that kids should go to school for twelve hours a day, ten or eleven months a year, at whatever the cost?

Jul 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Do you agree that kids should go to school for twelve hours a day, ten or eleven months a year, at whatever the cost?
    I believe that I will do anything so that my child gets an education. I will do anything so that my child is a productive member of society. Come on isn't that the reason people have children? People want their children to have better than they had growing up. I grew up in an upper middle class household. I have been educated in computer science, finance, spanish, and french. I like fine wine, classical music, art, and traveling. You only acquire that knowledge through education. So in order for my child to have a better life than I had I have a lot of work to do. So if that means school 12 hrs a day and no summer school then so be it. And I think that maybe the problem with some parents is that they don't have the same mentality.
    Tyshoe Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
    I believe if you become an American citizen you need to know English.
    Also, to be fair, if you go to their country to live you need to know their language.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 10, 2008, 03:03 PM
    yes Bobby
    Unfortunaly some of the answers early on glossed over that fact.

the question is ...should it be recognized as such ? There is a case to be made for both sides . Obama's mockery does not move the debate forward at all.

Nope. Here's why: if English was not the official language fifty years ago, it sure as hell can't be today were Spanish is more prevalent then ever. Nor would I desire to have Spanish as the official language fifty years from now. However I do think English in the US should be used in business and commerce, and perhaps mandated broadcasts for some major news networks at certain time slots. After that I don't care what people speak. Fortunately for my household we speak multi-languages, but for those that do not, the parents should encourage their children to learn additional languages at school so they are not at a disadvantage later. And visa-versa, others have to catch up and maintain English. Especially children that did not speak it in their early years. I don't want them at a disadvantage either. Obama's acknowledges America for it's diversity.

The immigrant issue is a little different. In Israel there are ulpans. Basically a school that saturates you in Hebrew so you can fit into society. Actually if I recall correctly it's mandatory. In the US we have English as a second language schools for adult immigrants, but it's not under immigration requirements. I think there should be some basic English course mandated for immigration here in the States and structured to the age of the immigrant with exception to seniors (I would exempt all seniors). Also those already proficient enough in English could take an exam and not have to take the basic course.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
    I think that it should be a requirement on both ends of the spectrum. If spanish people want to come to America, make them learn english.
    I have worked for almost 25 years at a suburban Chicago library. In every suburb, there are Mexican communities where only Spanish is spoken, but when these residents venture out into the world of Target and Walmart and libraryland, they speak English to us gringos--granted, it's broken English but they do their darndest to communicate (with smiles) and it definitely is understandable. I would not do as well in Mexico.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I have worked for almost 25 years at a suburban Chicago library. In every suburb, there are Mexican communities where only Spanish is spoken, but when these residents venture out into the world of Target and Walmart and libraryland, they speak English to us gringos--granted, it's broken English but they do their darndest to communicate (with smiles) and it definitely is understandable. I would not do as well in Mexico.
    I'm certain you would adjust very well if you had to, after 25 years.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 09:03 PM
    I'm certain you would adjust very well if you had to, after 25 years.
    The 25 years has nothing to do with it. When I started working there, Czech was the big language in the area. Then it was Hindi. Now it is Spanish. What's a librarian to do??
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    that of course was what Obama addressed in his flippant and arrogant way.

Evidence that he was flippant and arrogant?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    He regrets that we are not European

When did he say that?
    He certainly did . He 1st berated us for not learning Spanish and then mocked (with a deliberate yayhoo mispronounciation for emphasis) that all we know how to say when oversees is merci bouquet.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
    He certainly did . He 1st berated us for not learning Spanish and then mocked (with a deliberate yayhoo mispronounciation for emphasis) that all we know how to say when oversees is merci bouquet.
    He did only in your mind and intrepretation. BTW most americans travelling to France can't speak a word of French and those that do have a very accented version of it. I know, I'm french-canadian.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Not true, his words were just another example of how arrogant, and elitist he is.

He is "above" normal Americans, he thinks he is inherently "better" than the rest of us, and it shows every time he speaks.

All he has done with this "talking point" is to shore up some more of the Hispanic vote, and to demonstrate just how totally arrogant he really is.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Well as your compadre Mark Stein said ; When BO is President the only words of French Obama will need is merci bouquet as he takes his marching orders from the EU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brother is unmarried and his kids mother want to take kids away [ 5 Answers ]

Can his live in girlfriend or EX now take away his kids from him if there in a stable environment and she is leaving my brother for another man in another city and a sex offender at that? My brother has them in his care as we speak can she go to his house and walk out of there with them. They are...

Puppet kids show on discovery kids [ 3 Answers ]

This show came on discovery kids in the morning in the 90's it was kind of weird a women And kids say they want to get silly something and they would take a spoon and eat Something out of puppet flowers mouths, the puppets would open there mouths and other silly stuff was like this on the...

80"s kids movie with a dinasour and kids [ 3 Answers ]

I remember watching this movie when I was little. It was a about kids that I believe found a dinasour that's all I can remember and it's driving me nuts! Help!

Why Didn't Obama Tell Us This Before? [ 11 Answers ]

Now, this news article IS truly revealing and speaks volumes about Obama! Obamaites, here, take a good look at your superhero and read all about it! Why hadn't Obama revealed this little gem of a conversation he had with Wright, umm? Why did Wright bring it out finally at this time? What do you...

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

View more questions Search