Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyGem
    But I'm wondering about those who are offered an education but who simply don't want to go to school.
    Then they should be offered reasonable and productive alternatives after a certain age, say 16.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:06 AM
    There is nothing wrong with learning a second language, if one chooses to do so.

I make deposits for a couple of the businesses I work for.

One of them, banks at U S Bank.

When I pull up to the drive through window, there are 4 great big signs hanging in the window for U S Bank customers to read.

EVERY word on ALL 4 signs, is in Spanish.

There is no English translation.

In the middle of America, hundreds of miles from any border, at a business with the title
    U S BANK!!

I will not be learning any Spanish, anytime soon, and if you come to MY Country, and need help or directions, you better be able to speak English, or have your Garmin programed in Spanish, if you choose not to.

No doubt this will help the candidate with the Hispanic vote, and that is the only reason he made this proclamation.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
    But I'm wondering about those who are offered an education but who simply don't want to go to school.
    I am my child's guardian until the age of 18. The children have no choice. But the problem is that my choices are limited . Our laws about education are the results of our elected officials voting on our behalf. That means that like it or not the laws represent the desires of the public.

I agree with Wondergirl that more than an education geared towards a college curriculum should be available. Heck I wish I had some basic plumbing and eletrical technical training . There is some nice careers in those jobs they claim Americans won't do.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Here is the clip of what Obama said Nowhere in there does he say he is FORCING anyone to learn Spanish YouTube - Barack Obama Says Your Kids Should Speak Spanish

Lucky for me growing up I lived across the street from a Spanish speaking family so I learned Spanish at an early age. Then my next door neighbors spoke Italian and I learned that also.

That helped me a lot in High School because the public high school I went to required I take two years of Spanish. That was 15 years ago when I started high school and I don't think Obama had anything to do with my HS requiring that I learn Spanish. Nice try SkyGem
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Spit,
    You are indeed correct.
    a) No one is being forced to learn spanish
    b) No one will have to drop the learning of English as Sky mentions

Just more FUD being disseminated by the ill-informed and persons with evil in their hearts.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Just now on the Glenn Beck show someone called in and said they took their sister to a back to work program through welfare and they told her she needs to learn Spanish if she wants to get anywhere working in Washington D.C.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Just now on the Glenn Beck show someone called in and said they took their sister to a back to work program through welfare and they told her she needs to learn Spanish if she wants to get anywhere working in Washington D.C.
    Was it a suggestion or a passing requirement?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    In maybe 25 years, it will be Mandarin Chinese that we need to learn.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok the US is almost the only school system of the major nations that does not require a 2nd language. And in todays job market, you almost have to know spanish, I did not get 4 great jobs because I did not know spanish.

So I beleive a requirement in education for a second language would be great, now of course I am not sure that the federal government could even require it if they wanted to since most of this is controled at state level.
    On last check, the US didn't have a school system; if fact, the individual states don't have school systems although they do a lot of mandating and heavy regulation. My guess is you can date the demise of education in the U.S. with the advent of mandates and regulation from the states and the U.S. gov't, all in the name of 'improving' education.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:08 AM
    I have said for years that by the time they put all the silly warnings (like do not touch coils when plugged in the elements get hot and will burn) on products along with all the languages there will be more paper and instructions than the product itself.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jul 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Here's my two cents for anyone who who cares... if you don't then stop reading.
    Is it good to learn a second language? Absolutely it opens you mind to cultures and experiences other than your own. Now, I don't think Spanish should be the first choice for a second language, it should be Chinese, Japanese, German, or French. This well get you much further in life as you climb the corporate ladder. Spanish is great if you aspire only for the ordinary.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
    My comments on response # 13 are still my main critique of his comments.

He was AGAIN pointing a finger at the US while deflecting an important issue about English as the official language.

He was mocking Americans oversea invoking the image of the Ugly American.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Gregisteredtrademark is 100% dead on (love the name it's awesome). I actually deal with a lot of spanish speaking people with my job. They speak English but when they have a complex question and I have a complex answer it is easier to tell them in Spanish. Spanish was not required for my tech job but it really makes my work life easier. I am actually about to get Rosetta stone to learn Chinese and German just so I know them.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Since some of our Political Leadership wish to appease the invaders from our southern border, knowing Spanish will come in handy for those who have no opposition to this invasion.

I am against the invasion, and I expect anyone entering this Country, legally or illegally, to know how to speak OUR language, not to expect me to learn theirs, so it is easier for them to continue with the invasion.

If they really want to live in America, the least they can do is learn to speak English.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    While it is nice to learn other languages it should ultimately be up to the foreigner to do whatever it takes to adjust to surviving here. Even if we can speak Spanish what good is it doing them when we are not there and they have to figure out something that is in English and they have no body to translate for them.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Jul 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    Since some of our Political Leadership wish to appease the invaders from our southern border, knowing Spanish will come in handy for those who have no opposition to this invasion.

I am against the invasion, and I expect anyone entering this Country, legally or illegally, to know how to speak OUR language, not to expect me to learn theirs, so it is easier for them to continue with the invasion.

If they really want to live in America, the least they can do is learn to speak English.
    You know, any moment now I expect Obama to show up at another rally aiming for the Hispanic vote dressed in a sombrero, serape, and guaraches. But I just have to wonder how many of you would be supporting this idea of learning Spanish had Obama actually come out AGAINST it, because of the costs involved with teachers, classrooms, etc. and telling you so? For those who want their children to be bilingual, would you then be willing to put up your own money in order for them to learn a second language or would you feel it is the government's job to provide for this, I'm curious to know?

Just Say No Deal

Power of Puma: Howard Dean Schemes To Shut Down Democratic Convention

And for ALL Obamanots:

Nobama Network - Dedicated to Unity Democrats, Republicans, Independents Election 2008

Welcome to WriteHillaryIn.com
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I want to get T shirts made American doing jobs Americans won't do
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
    For those who want their children to be bilingual, would you then be willing to put up your own money in order for them to learn a second language or would you feel it is the government's job to provide for this, I'm curious to know?
    Here in Canada most children are indeed bilingual (English/French). If we can figure it out surely the greatest country in the world can too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
    English and French, the two official languages of Canada, are the principal languages that the great majority of Canadians use to communicate. In 2001, 13% of Canada's population was able to conduct a conversation in French only, 68% in English only, and 18% in both of these languages. Around 2% of people enumerated reported not knowing either of these two languages.
    Languages in Canada 2001 Census - The knowledge of Official Languages
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
    You know, any moment now I expect Obama to show up at another rally aiming for the Hispanic vote dressed in a sombrero, serape, and guaraches. But I just have to wonder how many of you would be supporting this idea of learning Spanish had Obama actually come out AGAINST it, because of the costs involved with teachers, classrooms, etc., and telling you so? For those who want their children to be bilingual, would you then be willing to put up your own money in order for them to learn a second language or would you feel it is the government's job to provide for this, I'm curious to know?

As I already stated I learned Spanish when I was 10 years old. Never heard the name Barack Obama when I was 10 years old. I learned Spanish because I wanted to, I learned Italian because I wanted to, I am going to learn Chinese and German because I want to. I like to better myself maybe you would like to stay with the title of an Ugly American but I don't. And sorry to tell you that IS how the world looks at us.

Progunr I agree people who want to live in a country should know the official language but since the US has no official language which language should they learn? And really since this land was stolen from Native Americans shouldn't we all be speaking the language of the native Americans who were actually here first?

Name:  T-HomelandSecurity-Detail.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  8.7 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brother is unmarried and his kids mother want to take kids away [ 5 Answers ]

Can his live in girlfriend or EX now take away his kids from him if there in a stable environment and she is leaving my brother for another man in another city and a sex offender at that? My brother has them in his care as we speak can she go to his house and walk out of there with them. They are...

Puppet kids show on discovery kids [ 3 Answers ]

This show came on discovery kids in the morning in the 90's it was kind of weird a women And kids say they want to get silly something and they would take a spoon and eat Something out of puppet flowers mouths, the puppets would open there mouths and other silly stuff was like this on the...

80"s kids movie with a dinasour and kids [ 3 Answers ]

I remember watching this movie when I was little. It was a about kids that I believe found a dinasour that's all I can remember and it's driving me nuts! Help!

Why Didn't Obama Tell Us This Before? [ 11 Answers ]

Now, this news article IS truly revealing and speaks volumes about Obama! Obamaites, here, take a good look at your superhero and read all about it! Why hadn't Obama revealed this little gem of a conversation he had with Wright, umm? Why did Wright bring it out finally at this time? What do you...

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

View more questions Search