Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turczyn1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2003, 06:03 PM
    Gas Fireplace
    Hi,

I just bought a ventless propane gas log set. I, however, only have natural gas in my household. Is there a way I can convert the propane set to natural gas?

Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2003, 07:16 PM
    Gas Fireplace
    No problem, LP and natural gas orifices are interchangeable. A very easy job that any home owner can do. Just remove the LP orifice and take it to your dealer and ask for a natural gas one. Some log sets include both orifices. Read your manual, you may already have one. Good luck, Tom
    dboyd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Gas Fireplace burner won't light
    Hi,

I have a Glo Fire non-vented gas log fireplace that has been working fine for years. It was working one day and it just stopped burning (it had been on for several days). The pilot light stayed lit but whenever I try to turn it to full on position it just shuts off even turning off the pilot light. The pilot can be easily relit once this happens.

I can't seem to find much information in the manual about how to solve this problem though my guess is that there is too much silica sand covering the burner. They do have extensive information about adjusting the pattern to look realistic but nothing about whether the holes need to be cleared. It has one statement in the troubleshooting section that says "too much or not enough material on main burner" when the symptom is :"pilot lights but the burner won't".

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

Dan :^)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2006, 11:39 AM
    I can't see it going from OK to too much sand by itself. Unless you added sand, I don't see that being the problem. It could be that the sand is somehow now blocking the burner. It could be compacted, or too much has filtered down into the burner. I would remove it, maybe sucking it out into a clean shop vac and make sure the holes in the burner are clean. I would try taking the burner out and shaking it upside down or blowing air into it. Once the holes are clear, put it back together and try it.
    dboyd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 08:58 PM
    Hi Labman,

I tried cleaning it and it seems fine, the holes are not obstructed. I am suspecting it might be either my ineptness at lighting it or a sensor problem that is preventing the valve from sending gas into the burner. I tried moving the pilot away from and then closer to the themocouple and it still doesn't work. The pilot lights easily, the knob doesn't even need to be held in for 30 to 60 seconds like the directions say, it just lights and stays lit right away. Might this indicate a problem with the pilot safety valve?

Thanks,

Dan :^)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 09:14 PM
    I guess you could try it with less sand before replacing the valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Fireplace thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

In my family room I have a Heatilator gas fireplace that came with a three wired remote switch which allows one to turn off and on manually as well as turn the system on/off depending on temperature setting. The problem with this system is that the fireplace will turn on/off at any time the...

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get rid of an ugly brick fireplace in the easiest manner. Is it possible to just prime it and use venetian plaster paint... or use a quick crete or sand topping over the brick and then prime and paint that?

Fireplace repair/replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this should be here or in the construction forum but... We have a brick fireplace on our house that is spalling. The prior owner painted the brick with regular housepaint instead of masonry paint so the bricks could breathe. There are some cracked fire bricks in the back of the...

Gas fireplace fan not working [ 9 Answers ]

We have had our propane gas fireplace for 4 years now, and it has always worked beautifully until now. We still have flames, but the fan (which we usually leave turned off and only use once in a while) isn't working. We turned the fan on tonight and nothing. Of course, we can't lay our hands on...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search