Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
    First this is YOUR car not his car, so who says he takes the car if he is evicted? And to be honest this problem did not just happen, at 14 was he forced to do chores, at 17 was he forced to do chores, my guess is no, so at 19 if he is not paying rent or helping around the house, he would not be eating the food I cooked either, it would be do this if you want supper And since it is your car ( loan is in your name) the car could be sitting in the drive way if he was not helping.

I would give him a notice he either does this and that, and if he does not, he will be evicted, give him about 20 or 30 days and then do it if he does not. IF not he will be sitting there doing nothing with his life at 30. Or even worst be moving in his pregnant girl friend expecting her to live there also. *** read about 1000 posts we get here to know it happens like that every day.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Your 2 cents is always appreciated, sorry if I sounded mean, that wasn't my intention. As for the Dr.Phil comment, I'm going to take that as a compliment. ;):)

I didn't think you were being mean at all, Ill just stick to what I know, and sure it was a compliment
    teentroubles Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Altenweg, you would really sue your kid? Just because your kid turns 18, doesn't mean you are not a parent anymore. Maybe I was raised diffrently, but I had a job at 15, and have ever since. Try to work something out, tell him to get a job, contribute towards the bills or get out.
    As far as a job, he does have one. Then also does part time painting for his cousin, the thing is All he cares about is his self! He makes enough to pay his car payment, insurance (which he does while living here at least) but he refuses to do anything around the house or pay rent of any kind. He said he needs his money, I know for a fact he can pay at least a little toward food (he does eat everything we buy) or rent but when we ask for help with anything the answer is always I need my money! So we say then cut the grass his answer is always "you guys know how to do it"

When he graduated we even bought a laptop for him so he could go to college, has only been talk now for over a year with that one. He also wants me to help with the out of pocket expenses now for that too... Kiss my what!! Maybe if he acted differently.

He runs the electric bill through the roof (never turning anything off). Comes and goes without a hello or goodbye. Stays out all hours of the night (Friends always come before family)

If you want to hear another thing on Fathers day he did not even say Happy Fathers day much less give a card or anything (My wife and daughter reminded him the day before and on Fathers day)

By the way my 17 year old daughter works part time at McDonalds and just randomly will say " Do you guys need help with anything!!" or she'll grab a bill and say "I have this one" She makes way less than him (even after his payments for car and insurance) And she remembered me and actually picked up something on Fathers day. So I guess I didn't screw up raising both of them ;)

What gets me is HE actually got more "given" to him and SHE is the one that wants to help out. I know who's rent/food or whatever I'll be helping with whenever SHE get's older and is on her own. What goes around comes around. And I will help her whenever she needs it when she is on her own. She's no angel herself but I'll tell you at least she is very good hearted!!

Sorry to go on so long.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Oh, if any child of mine told me "You know how to do it" he would have had his clothes thrown out the door that same day.

But in the end you will either have to put up with it or do something about it, the real choice is yours
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
    I never intended to imply that you're a bad parent, you are a good dad (sorry I called you a mom earlier, just thought you were a she, not a he.;))

The fact remains, he is selfish, and rude, and he needs to realize that what he's doing isn't acceptable. Time to kick him to the curb, let him fend for himself. The really world is hard, there are bills to pay, lawns to cut, and he needs to realize that. He's sitting on his arse while you work your butt off to keep him happy, that has to stop, NOW!

The choice is yours, do you keep paying this ungrateful child to live in your home, or do you take the hard road, make him live for himself and stop burdening you. It's really an easy answer, isn't it?

Jul 9, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Exactly I was just saying it may not be her parent skills were lacking when he was growing up.

Crash course is the only course now
    Wife here too and one turned out fine, I think he just got too spoiled and was very manipulate his mom while I was working waaay too many hours. He is now out of control.

I should have figured this out and just beat his A$$ years ago/.

I do however like the idea of "Bury Alive" ;)

We will not sue (not our style) but the hard road would teach him. We were on our own at 17 and still together at 40. I remember doing everything we could just to eat and keep a roof over my head. Kids seem to have it way to easy nowadays and well maybe we where enablers but as I said earlier, our daughter is caring and helps out without even being asked.

A good way to get him out of Party Mode is to let his friends throw him out a few times too until he finally realizes there is no such thing as a free ride.

You are all right we don't know exactly what to do but mainly because we can't afford to take the car payment on right now, will probably just let them reposses the damn thing or Do you all think it would be better to just help my daughter make the payments and give it to her, as I said she is the complete opposite--- What do you think, she also has better grades so the insurance would be much cheaper.

Jul 9, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Exactly I was just saying it may not be her parent skills were lacking when he was growing up.

Crash course is the only course now
    Wife here too and one turned out fine, I think he just got too spoiled and was very manipulate his mom while I was working waaay too many hours. He is now out of control.

I should have figured this out and just beat his A$$ years ago/.

I do however like the idea of "Bury Alive" ;)

We will not sue (not our style) but the hard road would teach him. We were on our own at 17 and still together at 40. I remember doing everything we could just to eat and keep a roof over my head. Kids seem to have it way to easy nowadays and well maybe we where enablers but as I said earlier, our daughter is caring and helps out without even being asked.

By the way we also coached all of his and her youth soccer teams and tried to do the right thing. But with children services these days a parent has more trouble being a parent. We both respected our parents.
    A good way to get him out of Party Mode is to let his friends throw him out a few times too until he finally realizes there is no such thing as a free ride.

You are all right we don't know exactly what to do but mainly because we can't afford to take the car payment on right now, will probably just let them reposses the damn thing or Do you all think it would be better to just help my daughter make the payments and give it to her, as I said she is the complete opposite--- What do you think, she also has better grades so the insurance would be much cheaper.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I think giving it to your daughter would be a great idea, except I feel that your son may turn on your daughter for this (I have no idea how the sibling chemistry is... just stating something that may happen).

Plus, better grades, female, probably no record of getting in accidents/tickets... much cheaper.

Jul 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First this is YOUR car not his car, so who says he takes the car if he is evicted ?? And to be honest this problem did not just happen, at 14 was he forced to do chores, at 17 was he forced to do chores, my guess is no, so at 19 if he is not paying rent or helping around the house, he would not be eating the food I cooked either, it would be do this if you want supper And since it is your car ( loan is in your name) the car could be sitting in the drive way if he was not helping.

I would give him a notice he either does this and that, and if he does not, he will be evicted, give him about 20 or 30 days and then do it if he does not. IF not he will be sitting there doing nothing with his life at 30. or even worst be moving in his pregnant girl friend expecting her to live there also. *** read about 1000 posts we get here to know it happens like that every day.
    Sorry to say yes he was forced at 14 and 17 to do chores but decided he did not have to listen anymore once he turned 18. That's why we are confused. Thinks he's an adult and we can't make him do anything he does not want to do. It's time for the foot up the butt and the roof over his head removed. I have been assured that no other relative will take him in so he will learn how life really is.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
    He's right. He is an adult.

... and as an adult... he should learn to live on his own.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:12 PM
    I got to ask, though, was his living arrangements not agreed upon previous to him turning 18?

... I think my parents sat me down and actually laid out what was in store for me... when I was 16.

1. Financially cut off.
    2. Get a job, find a place to live.
    3. Go to college... or not, your choice. If college, get a scholarship or pay your own way. If no college, better make 6 figures.

Jul 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I gotta ask, though, was his living arrangements not agreed upon previous to him turning 18?

...I think my parents sat me down and actually laid out what was in store for me...when I was 16.

1. Financially cut off.
    2. Get a job, find a place to live.
    3. Go to college...or not, your choice. If college, get a scholarship or pay your own way. If no college, better make 6 figures.
    Have to admit not that way. But then that did not have to happen with us, our daughter is livid by the way he acts and won't help, she sees how bad it is and actually tries to be the opposite. She has already been putting in apps for schools and better jobs too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I feel that your son will turn it around... just needs a nudge.

... or a shove.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 09:52 PM
    I think a kick instead of a nudge or shove. He's 20, time to man-up. He has to take responsibility for his own life. He's not willing to pay rent, well his name isn't on the deed to the house, he's not willing to help out, well he's an adult, you don't have to provide a roof over his head. It's time he learned to live on his own. Life is hard, but it's something you need to learn firsthand sometimes.

Kick his lazy butt out, he'll either sink or swim, either way he'll learn something, and that will make him a better man.

Good luck.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 11, 2008, 08:27 PM
    If she kicks the kid out on his bum who's to say that he will not turn to substance abuse because he can't hang to survive the real world? Not saying that he will NOR would it be her fault if she did, but lets just examine the issue here.

The kid is probably not used to being responsible. (obviously if he isn't helping the fam)

He probably is not taking this whole thing seriously.

He is used to being pampered.

Just like it's not easy for a millionaire to survive a welfare lifestyle it will not be easy for this kid to adjust.Of course he has to because that's life.

Have a sit down chat with him and let him know that there are going to be some changes.

If he wants to continue to live at your house then he needs to:

A: Do some chores around the house and help out.Dishes/mowing etc. and you need to Charge a "living fee" of 50 bucks or so each month since it seems as if the fam is a little hard up for cash.

If that doesn't seem "fair" to him then he needs to be forced to get over himself.He can move in with a bud and you can take the care away from him.

Be strict.Don't be a pushover and let him know you mean business.Also, don't buy food that he just gobbles down.Purchase healthy food (of course that the whole family will enjoy) extras are not needed if they will be wasted on him.

I know all too well what this situation is like only with a (criminal) twist so count yourself lucky! Lol

Good luck
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 08:31 PM
    I bet she did the whole sit down and lay out the rules and he didn't take her serious and she is already at the third time about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18 Year Old Still Living at Home [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I still have an 18 year old son living with us. He graduated from high school, but is not interested in going any farther. We have offered to pay, but he's still not interested in school. He "hangs out" with his friends, and sometimes comes home drunk or high. We live in Tennessee and...

How to Evict 19 Year Old Step Daughter From Home [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Georgia with my husband and his two grown children (ages 22 and 19) for the last 10 years. The 19 year old is into drugs and drinking and is constantly laying out of work (if she even has a job) and bringing her drug friends into our home when we are not there. There is evidence she...

Better to let 16 year old leave home? [ 4 Answers ]

My sixteen year old son told me today he wants to leave home. This happened after I asked him where he sees himself in 1 year. We have been having quite a time with him for 2 years now - he uses pot daily and has for quite some time. I have found a multitude of drug related items and destroy...

Can only go home for the Holidays every other year [ 1 Answers ]

11 years ago my sister who is 10 years younger decided that she no longer wanted me to visit our Mother when she was there. Because of this my Mother took her side and would not tell me why my sister had stopped talking to me and had decided she hated me. Instead, my Mother told me that in the...

19 Year old home from college [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just returned home from being away at college for the past 10 months. She has gained over 60 pounds and is doing terrible in school. Now that she is home she keeps her room messy, is unkempt and ignores most of what we ask of her. She is never verbally disrespectful, but just...

View more questions Search