Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slewis2626 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
    What bank holds a mortgage?
    How do I find out what bank holds the mortgage on a house I want to buy.. it is about to go to foreclosure?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Check with the county clerk's office. A mortgage is usually filed as a lien against the property. Foreclosues may also be filed with the clerk.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
    You will need to know the owner's name so that you can locate any mortgage(s), as Scott says, filed as a lien in the county's deed records. Foreclosures are generally advertised in the county's legal newspaper for four weeks prior to auction.

Jul 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    You will need to know the owner's name so that you can locate any mortgage(s),
    Not necessairly. Liens may be recorded against the property so can be found by checking the property.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Not necessairly. Liens may be recorded against the property so can be found by checking the property.
    Where would you begin to look if you don't have the owner's name?

Jul 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Property deeds are generally filed by location, not owner. To find a deed, one would need the address or the section, block, lot etc. Generally just the name will do no good.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Scott, so you and other readers will know, in my neck of the woods, anyway, property is indexed by name; there are two indexes: Grantee and Grantor. This type system makes research accessible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 05:11 PM
    You can do property searches at the recorder of deed by address only. At least in every state I have ever bought property ( and that is quite a few )
    You go in with the address and can look up who the deeded owner is and who has any mortgage.

BUT>>> if it is not foreclosed yet ( and how do you do it is going to be foreclosed if you don't know the owner)

But until it is foreclosed you will have to buy it from the owner, not the bank, since the bank does not own it until it is foreclosed

Jul 9, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I'm sure that some counties do allow name searches. But the vast majority that I'm aware index properties by location. If a name search is provided, its in addition. Most of the time, people don't search for property that someone owns, but rather the owner of a property. In fact, it might be considered an invasion of privacy to allow someone to just look up all the properties someone owns. A few years ago, as part of its re-assessment program, my county put up all the assessment info on its web site. They inclouded owner info aqnd the ability to search by owner. There was a large hue and cry complaining about the loss of privacy and the names were removed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Most will have a cross reference my name, and/or tax records that cross reference to address but to my knowledge most areas will always have the address search and many others will have other methods in addition to address search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink holds water [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a wall mounted lavi made in Brazil by Decca. It is a large rectangle with only a 5/8" drain hole in the front edge. The waste is intended to drain through the small hole and into the trap through the interior of the ceramic void within the sink. The drain system is...

What the future holds for selfeducation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, . Let me know what is my future for education. I am trying to do my MBA but there are many obstacles proping up which is making me loose interest. . Advice Regards,

Illegal probation holds [ 1 Answers ]

A probation officer who was not my probation officer put a hold on me an iwas held 3 days in jail is that right.

Bank holds and child support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I hope you can help me with my question. A credit card company placed a "hold" on my checking account on Friday. When I met with the banker he told me that the hold was placed on July 2 and is up on the 30th. My debit card is useless. However, I did make a payment for my phone...

How to you add a person to the mortgage but not the bank note [ 1 Answers ]

How to you add a person to the mortgage but not the bank note

View more questions Search