Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 9, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Recovery CD
    I have a Compaq Presario desktop that came pre-loaded with Windows XP (vintage 2002).

The unit also came with a "Recovery CD". One option on the recovery CD is to restore the PC to it's original factory settings.

Another option is to make an Emergency Recovery Disk that "stores the system information"

The manual says that to do a factory restore (Quick Restore), you may need the emergency disk that you created.

My hard drive is partitioned and has a small 4GB (D: ) partition with FAT32 on it.

Questions:
    If I have a total hard drive failure and must replace the drive, does the recovery disk contain a copy of Windows?

If not, will the emergency disk that I create contain a copy of Windows?

If not, is there a way to back up the OS plus anything else I would need to replace the hard drive?

Thanks...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2008, 06:20 AM
    In order as posted:
    Yes
    No
    Yes

Jul 9, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Thanks Curlyben,

So, are you saying that if I replaced the hard drive, all I would need is the recovery CD, and the emergency disk that I create to get the thing up and running with original factory OS and programs?

I am trying to avoid making a clone of my hard drive here before it dies.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Simply change out the drive and us the recovery CD ONLY.
    The emergency disc is of very little use, so bin it.

Jul 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Thank you sir...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
    While you're thinking about it this is a perfect time to back up your data files in case something nasty does happen. Remember: you can always reinstall programs but not those photos, Word docs, Contacts, etc. :)

Jul 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Thanks NeedKarma,

I actually back up my data files every 2 weeks (once a week when I'm doing a lot of work), so I'm covered there. It's just that my hard drive is getting old and I fugure it's just a matter of time till it fries, so I'm trying to prepare.

If the recovery disk will not create a factory version of the original drive with Windows XP on a new (blank) hard drive, then I guess I should clone a copy of the whole drive while it's still working.

I've had several people tell me that a recovery disk does not contain Windows. It just pulls Windows off the hard drive and reinstalls it to factory config.?

If you have a better approach, I'd love to hear it, as I am new to all of this, and am learning as I go along...
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I just want to throw a little story into this simply because it concerns me. Now, hopefully things have changed. But I have a friend with a Compaq -- well, she used to have one. And she had this supposed recovery CD. But after her hubby completely messed up the entire dang computer, she wiped out the drive and tried to use this CD and it did not have Windows on it. I'm not quite sure what it actually was. After I helped her do a bit of research on her computer, discovered this situation -- the small D drive, which contained what essentially we'd call a recovery CD. Except she'd wiped it out. I then did more research to try to find a way to get her a real recovery CD from HP. (Not sure whatever happened with that, though she did get Windows reinstalled somewhere, somehow. And now does Ghost images herself.)

She had 98 though. They may have changed this. I just wanted to throw that out there, just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP system recovery cds [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone did a system recovery on a HP pavilion desk top with the system recovery cds from HP? There are 7 cds. I am having all kinds of problems with this second recovery.

OS Recovery CD? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a recovery CD for Windows XP Home edition on my dell computer. Can I use this on other computers to put an OS on?

Computer recovery [ 4 Answers ]

I have a HP dv 5000 laptop, less than one year old. It has crashed two times now, and in my frustration, I have done the PC recovery option. So, it sets it back to factory settings. Is there any way to make the computer recover to a later date? So, now, I have to redo everything on the computer,...

Jaw surgery now recovery what to eat? [ 2 Answers ]

What foods can I eat? I'm past the liquids I can now I have very soft foods I can't chew but I can smash things with my tongue against my mouth and teeth, but as I said before no aggressive chewing

Spy-bot recovery [ 5 Answers ]

I downloaded spybot search and destroy to get rid of any spyware problems but now when I open my hotmail e-mail account and use eBay boxes are continually popping up say "spybot s&d has blocked the download of "doubleclick" or "avenue A inc". These boxes are a complete pain in the ass and I want to...

View more questions Search