Can I Adopt my Step-Daughters
    I never adopted my step-daughters even though I raised them
    Can I adopt them now even though they are adults as I fear a
    Legal problem with my family if I should die and I want my 2
    Girls to have what I have got
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
    They don't have to be adopted to inherit from you - in some States, yes, if they're adults you can adopt them without the consent of the natural parent(s).

Handle it by Will - you don't have to be the legal father to make bequests.

For that matter, you could leave your estate to your dog - doesn't have to be blood family.
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
    They are adults. Write a will. Or a living trust. You can leave your inheritance to whomever you wish. If there is no will or living trust it will go to your kin.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:27 PM
    In the US each state has its own laws about being able to adopt a adult, you will have to see an attorney in your area But as noted all you need is a will.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Ur step daughters are very lucky to have you.Just shared. Consult a lawyer BTW.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopt with step dad [ 2 Answers ]

How did I go about getting my bio father to sign off so I can have my step dad adopt me

How can adopt my wife's son (my step son) [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's ex husband doesn't really take care of his son. He doesn't call or anything. The only thing that we get is approximately $45 every 2-3 weeks but that amount varies. I on the other hand have been providing everything for my wife's son even before we got married since her son was about 3...

My step son wants me to adopt him how do I go about it [ 11 Answers ]

I have been married to my husband for 8 years, and I have been raising his son as my own ever since! His mother has not been an active part of his life she lives in another country with her new husband, changed her religion and way of life for him to muslim (we are catholic) who is in the...

Husband wants to adopt step-son [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 5 years old and his biological father is in jail and has been since I was 6 months pregnant. My new husband came into our lives when he was 10 months old and has since been his only father. Well after many years of discussing it we have decided for him to adopt him and my son legally be...

View more questions Search