Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joy howard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Disrespectful 27 old daughter and grandmother
    I have a 27 year old daughter that is bipolar, still in college and 2 kids. Her father and I divorced when she was 5. Her father was an alcoholic and died when she was 15 due to liver complications. I have been the only constant in her life besides my parents. I have tried to raise her and teach her respect, responsibility etc. She has over $40,000 in credit card debt and does not have a job. Her Grandmother... my Mother has bailed her out 3 times previously, bought her 2 new cars and waits on her hand and foot. She leaves her children with my 70 year old Mother for days at a time while she sleeps late, goes shopping, or to the local water park to work on her tan. She has always been very disrespectful to my Parents, however I will not tolerate it and since I don't she has now decided to assault me via e-mails that are very nasty, and just downright hurtful. Talks about what a terrible Mother I am and has decided that the only person who has ever loved her is her dead Father, whom by the way did not see her from the time she was 5 years old until about a month before he knew he was going to die. My Mother loves to stir stuff if you know what I mean and totally enables my daughter's behavior. This relationship is not healthy and although I have done a lot for my daughter financially as well as with her minor children she has it in her mind I have never done anything for her or her children and says in an e-mail to me that she has decided it is just too much trouble for her to continue a relationship with me and therefore has decided she is done. My question is how do I handle her and my Mother and still manage to see my grandchildren since my Mother is the one who keeps them most of the time? If I go there to see them she will pump me for insight on "My feelings" about what is going on only so she can go back to my 27 year old daughter. I feel my Mother is in heaven when there are issues between my daughter and I and don't want her interference so I am looking for advise on how to respond to my daughter's e-mails, see the children, and stay above board. I did respond to her e-mail by saying that I love her and will be here if she changes her mind. What else do you suggest.

Joy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Ignore emails, and ignore daughter if she is not treating your properly.

But to be honest grandmother needs to start cutting off the wallet and starting to only do the bare mim for her also.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Sounds like she has you between a rock and a hard place and NOTHING you do will get you to be able to see your grand children unless she 'feels' like letting you. She is enjoying the power and as long as she sees it is hurting you she is going to keep it up.
    I bet she doesn't even read your emails. Don't bother reading hers. She hasn't said anything worth reading in any of them has she?

The only thing I can even see happening is if you can get your mom away for a day and talk to her don't even bring up your daughter or grandchildren or anything to do with the situation or examples. Just ask her where things went between the two of you and if it is possible to reestablish a relationship between the two of you.

How she treats your daughter is THEIR problem. Don't even get involved talking about it AT ALL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 22yr old daughter is SO disrespectful! [ 23 Answers ]

I have a 22yr old daughter that lives with me and my husband and our children (younger sisters) and has been for 3 months after leaving an abusive relationship. She has 2 daughters 1yr & 4yr living with us also.. they are wonderful! My daughter is such a unhappy, ungratefull crabby... She has...

College age daughter is disrespectful and ungrateful. [ 13 Answers ]

(I accidentally posted this in the "teen" section so I'm re-posting here. Sorry - new to this whole thing... ) HELP. I've been a single mom for almost 10 years and I have single-handedly raised my almost 19-year-old daughter. She is in college now, living in an off-campus apartment, majoring...

Disrespectful Daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Please, anyone out there who can help, I have a 19 year old daughter who is in her first year of college. She has done well, etc. but we have had a turbulant relationship since she was 13. I thought it would be better when she went to college but she just is getting worse about trying to run my...

Disrespectful Step-Daughter [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend's daughter has never disrespected me, but she goes out of her way to make her father feel horrible. We have gone out of our way to make sure she knows she is welcome to do anything we are doing, but the few times she agreed to go with us she either talked on her cell phone or texted...

View more questions Search