Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanne-79 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
    Put a lien on his truck?
    My ex owes me aprox $4.500.00 from our divorce back in 1999. I never pressed the issue but recently I did him a favor & loaned him some $$ just to have him laugh & say he doesn't plan to pay it back because I can't prove it. Well I can't prove the latest loan but I do have the divorce papers saying he owes the $4,500.0 plus 12% per year. He owns a truck worth aprox $6,000.0 which he plans on selling soon-can I put a lien on it? How? Thx
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2006, 04:52 AM
    No, you can't just put a lien on his truck ( this was not for fixing or working on his truck)

You can take him back to court, and since this was from divorce settlement, you most likely will have to take him back to divorce court and have him found in contempt of court.

I would check with an attorney in your area,
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
    HI,
    I do agree with the answer before mine.
    Please get a lawyer, and then you can get some Professional advice on how to proceed. Loaning him more money will not likely have him pay it back!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Chuck is right, that you can't put a lien on his truck. However, you might be able to get the judge to agree to allow you to seize the truck in lieu of the debt owed. Your divorce attorney should be able to advise you on the feasibility of that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Great answer scott, I just don't know how their state treats divorce settlements, in the areas I have been at, they won't let you take them though regular court and get a judgment, they make you take them back to divorce court and I very seldom see the divorce judge doing much except waring and warning and warning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS tax lien [ 5 Answers ]

I owe over $11000 in back federal tax for 1996. Can the IRS put a lien on the home we live in when the house is in my wife's name and only I owe the back tax? I am paying $5 a month on this bill but have signed no payment agreement with the IRS. Will the 10 year statute of limitation on federal tax...

Tax lien [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Maryland and have federal tax lien against me for $5,000.00 It was issued in 1996. I was unaware of it, but want to pay it. Where do I send the payment. Also, is there a statue of limitations on a federal tax lien. Thanks Leigh072055

Offer of compromise,Tax lien [ 3 Answers ]

We have a tax lien against us.We are considering doing a offer of compromise. Once we do that will the tax lien be taken off? Also my husband and his brother are named in a trust.It's not for much,Everything is supposed to be sold and split 3 ways and 1/3 of it going to a church. Will I have to...

Tax lien houses [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find info about finding tax lien houses, I'm very interested in buying us a house

Tax lien houses [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find info about finding tax lien houses, I'm very interested in buying us a house

View more questions Search