Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CraigPac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Maytag Dryer Loud Shrieking Noise
    Maytag Intellidry Dryer D-4, 10 y/o, Model MDG9806aww (QuietPlus II).

Replaced belt. Replaced two dryer drum rollers (just the wheels, the posts looked and felt OK, but what do I know?).

When the belt is not connected and I turn the drum, I do not hear the noise.

The situation has deteriorated -- it sounds as if metal is rubbing on metal.

The clothes dry just fine and require the same amount of time as before.

I did not use any grease or lubricants at any point, if that makes any difference.

I would appreaciate any other things to look at.

Thanks,
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Hello Craigpac

"The situation has deteriorated -- it sounds as if metal is rubbing on metal."

That sounds like the drum may be running against the tub somewhere.
    You should be able to locate quickly where that noise is coming from.
    Just open up the rear panel, sit behind the dryer, and run the (empty) drum without the heater element on. Do not touch anything. Just listen and locate the origin of the squeaking/rubbing noise.

The test procedure provides a couple of possible causes.
    Normally squeaking is caused by either the faulty gliders or rollers.

Once you know what parts are squeaking, just let me know and I'll advice you further.
    (Just let me know by private mail and I join you here again in this topic : to do so click on my handle and follow the instructions to private mail)

Here is the general test procedure for a dryer that is squeaking :

=============
    SQUEAKING DRYER
    =============

Squeaking normally indicates a problem with either the teflon gliders (replace gliders), or with the plastic rollers (replace rollers), or with the drum bearing (replace dryer). You can not economically replace the drum bearing.

You have to do a little research here.

To check what is going on in your dryer :

Remove the rear panel, and have a look as to what is going on.
    Check the drive belt : is it frayed?
    Is the drum running against something?
    Does anything look lose or broken?

Please be careful : do not touch anything while the dryer is connected to the power.

If you can not find anything, remove the power - take the power cable out of the socket and put it on to the ground.
    Note down how the belt is connecting the drum and motor.
    Remove the belt (by taking away the tension from the belt this is easy).
    Spin the motor a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely? No squeaking?
    Spin the (empty) drum a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely? Is it squeaking? If so check the teflon "gliders" between the drum and the door window, or the plastic rollers holding the drum horizontal at the front.
    If these are OK, than check the drum bearing.
    Also spin the motor a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely?

Of course you can also come back to the board and discuss your findings before trying to repair it !

Success !

:)
    CraigPac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Credenovidis, Thanks for your prompt response. This model does not seem to allow removal of the back panel. Am I missing something?
    CraigPac
    tarpondboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Hello Craigpac

"The situation has deteriorated -- it sounds as if metal is rubbing on metal."

That sounds like the drum may be running against the tub somewhere.
    You should be able to locate quickly where that noise is coming from.
    Just open up the rear panel, sit behind the dryer, and run the (empty) drum without the heater element on. Do not touch anything. Just listen and locate the origin of the squeaking/rubbing noise.

The test procedure provides a couple of possible causes.
    Normally squeaking is caused by either the faulty gliders or rollers.

Once you know what parts are squeaking, just let me know and I'll advice you further.
    (Just let me know by private mail and I join you here again in this topic : to do so click on my handle and follow the instructions to private mail)

Here is the general test procedure for a dryer that is squeaking :

=============
    SQUEAKING DRYER
    =============

Squeaking normally indicates a problem with either the teflon gliders (replace gliders), or with the plastic rollers (replace rollers), or with the drum bearing (replace dryer). You can not economically replace the drum bearing.

You have to do a little research here.

To check what is going on in your dryer :

Remove the rear panel, and have a look as to what is going on.
    Check the drive belt : is it frayed?
    Is the drum running against something?
    Does anything look lose or broken?

Please be careful : do not touch anything while the dryer is connected to the power.

If you can not find anything, remove the power - take the power cable out of the socket and put it on to the ground.
    Note down how the belt is connecting the drum and motor.
    Remove the belt (by taking away the tension from the belt this is easy).
    Spin the motor a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely? No squeaking?
    Spin the (empty) drum a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely? Is it squeaking? If so check the teflon "gliders" between the drum and the door window, or the plastic rollers holding the drum horizontal at the front.
    If these are ok, than check the drum bearing.
    Also spin the motor a couple of times by hand, as fast as possible. Is it running freely?

Of course you can also come back to the board and discuss your findings before trying to repair it !

Success !

:)
    It was the gliders making the noise , replaced them, and no more noise Thanks eh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Washer loud noise during spin [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag PAV3200AWW washer which recently started making a loud noise during the spin cycle. The sound is constant, varies directly with the speed of the tub spinning, and reminds me of a noisy bearing, or what it might sound like if the tub was trying to spin against the brake. :confused: ...

Whirlpool Dryer loud noise, found problem, need solution [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I posted a question regarding whirlpool dryer (GEW9868KQ0) noise and have not yet received answer. I just opened the dryer up and found the problem. The motor was not fixed. When motor started, the belt would pull the motor out of its seat, the fan attached to the moter would touch the...

View more questions Search