Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Money and Friends
    A few months ago, I returned from a backpacking trip with a buddy of mine. We both just graduated from a school here in atlanta, and we drove up together to nyc (where he lives) and we stayed at his parents' house for 2 days.

Well, things got a bit mixed up with our flights and he was scheduled to leave 2 days before I left, so I stayed at his parents' house for 2 more days after he left. His parents fed me, drove me around town, etc.

We met up in Europe, had a blast, and came back. When we returned, he said that we'd work out some financials and see who owed what. We found out that when it came down to it, he owed me $150 for a hotel I booked on my credit card while we were in Europe. Everything else, we split on. Of course, there was the occasional drink we bought each other and whatnot... and overall, I admit, that he probably paid for me more than I paid for him. (probably around $50) Reason being, his parents are filthy rich (they own a 9-bedroom mansion in nyc) and this kid never works... I'm the polar opp. My parents don't support me.

He sent me a check today for $150 (his dad wrote the check) and a post-it that said, "I feel like I don't owe you this money." This may come off as being rude, but we're actually pretty rude to one another in real life (we call each other @ssholes... jack@ss... idiot... and the like) so this doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that he actually feels this way.

Now I'm contemplating whether I should deposit this check.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 8, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I say deposit it, only because you two already discussed the money situation. You paid for the hotel, he agreed that he owed it to you, and now all of a sudden he doesn't feel he does? I don't like spending money either, but hey, bills got to get paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
    His dad did not owe you anything, and in fact it was wrong for him to ask his dad to pay you, Next two buddies paying this and that here and there, if it is 150 over an entire trip to europe and you stayed with his payents for days, yes I think it was sort of petty to ask for the money.
    After he was back in Atlatna and you were doing stuff maybe you could have worked it out better.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Did you ask him why he changed his mind? $150 isn't worth ruining a friendship over, but you shouldn't let him take advantage of your friendship, either. If you agreed on the reimbursement, he should stand by it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
    He's the one who figured out who owes what, he notified you that he owed you $150.00, so I don't see a problem. I do think it's unfair that his father is paying for this, and the sticky he attached is correct, the father doesn't owe you anything, his son does, and he should be the one paying.

Now the question is, what's worth more, the repayment of this money, or your friendship. My rule of thumb has always been; when I agree to lend a friend money I consider it gone, I never had it, that way if I don't get paid back, it's not a big deal, if I do, well it's a nice surprise. :)

Talk to your friend, ask him what was said to his parents that prompted this response.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Well to clear things up, HE personally has no money... he has his father's credit card... and that's how he lives. As I said, he's never worked a day in his life. Parents are filthy rich.

And he isn't coming back to atl as we're both going separate ways. And as alty said, I didn't ask for the money... he said that in the end, he owed me.

I'll be depositing the check, possibly calling him tomorrow just to see how he's doing.
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
    I think that's the way to go. If he ends up breaking the friendship over $150, then he's not much of a friend to begin with. Better to find out now than later. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Nah, he's not the type to break up a friendship over his dad's money. As I said... kid doesn't have money of his own... which means that money means little to nothing to him.. just thought that comment was unwarranted.

Kid's been my best friend since freshmen year. We went through "hazing" together and went through the pre-med cutting phase together. He's been my roomie for the past 3 years... I don't think he's going anywhere.
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:04 PM
    It was unwarranted. If the kid lives off his dad, and dad pays all his bills etc. then he shouldn't be upset to pay this one. It's time for daddy to cut the apron strings, Jr. has to learn to fly solo. But that's a whole different thread. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Very possible dad made him write the note
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Very possible, in which case... I think this'll all blow over anyway in a matter of days, if it hasn't blown over already. Thanks my peeps.
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Anytime Sir Sneeze. :)
    bananarepublic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
    In my opinion, deposit the cheque, get it over with. Then, invite him out for a drinks/food and offer pay for it.

Cheers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

View more questions Search