Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolstars Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Child support/college paid
    I was divorced in 1996. My divorce degree says that my ex-husband will pay for our sons college and child support will stop. I received papers from the state saying that the law on child support has changed and my son and I can request that child support be continued until our son is 21. My ex-husband wants my son and I to sign a paper from his attorney that says that he can stop paying child support this August. This is when my son starts college. What is the law regarding this support? Should I sign the papers or should I expect him to continue to pay child support?
    Thank you for your answers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Without knowing what state we can't tell you if the law changed or not. But I would suspect that the original support order could enforced here. Frankly, paying for college would probably be more than what he would pay in support. So if he wants you to agree to what you originally agreed, that he would pay the college costs, but cease paying support, I would tend to go along.

But you should be consulting your own attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
    You have a current written agreed to child support agreement, so actually you will have to go back to court to modify it to require him to pay child support, and he in turn can also ask for the college agreement to be droped, if you want a change, he can ask for a change, and in many places it is not required to pay for college.

So you can expect the entire arrangement to change if you decide to take it to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Child Support Law after 18 and in College [ 3 Answers ]

My divorce agreement stated that my ex husband would not have to pay child support after our son turned 18. He still had 6 months of high school ti complete, and is now in college. It is my understanding that California law has changed, and that the father is obligated to directly contribute to...

How long does child support have to be paid? [ 1 Answers ]

An 18 year old male has been kicked out on the street by his mother after his 18th birthday. His father has never been around and has not paid child support at anytime. How old does child support have to be paid, can it be paid directly to him by his father if court ordered? If anyone can help...

Back Child Support Paid [ 2 Answers ]

If back child support is paid and paid by the order date. What is the statue of limitations if any on interest ? Can the courts legaly come back years later and charge interest.If they didn't put it in the original orders?

Child support, college expenses and name changes [ 4 Answers ]

There are several issues I have questions about: 1. If a child over the age of 18 changes his surname to his mother's maiden name, does the father still have to pay college expenses or child support (in NJ)? 2. If the father has NO say in the college choice, is he still obligated to pay...

View more questions Search