Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelsieg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Latin traslation of the words "free spirit"
    I want to get a tattoo of the words "free spirit" in Latin. Can someone help me find an accurate translation of those words?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
    'solvo phasmatis' is the translation of free spirit, it may not look as attractive as you thought
    milagros6670 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 11:28 AM
    In spanish its 'espiritu libre'
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:55 AM
    I too get, solvo phasmatis as the translation.
    Aither Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
    Anima Libera (nom.sing) is the correct one.
    Solvo phasmatis is a "non correct" translation. Phasma,phasmatis could be "spirit", but it's a Late Latin concept rather than a Classic one. The verb solvo,is,ere,-vi,solutum (unleash) doesn't have a direct semantic relation with "something free" per se, so you have to use an adjective rather than a verb. The adjective "liber,liberi" makes more sense because it means "freedom." Ancient Romans had 2 distinctions between objects: the animated ones and the unanimated ones. Humans and nature were animated, objects weren't. The Latin word for soul is "animus" which means "breath, soul, spirit", like in Greek αἰθήρ (aither.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking free "Ask" site,specifically for "Holistic/Naturopathic questions [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there exists on the internet a free "Ask" site, like this one, but that pertains to specifically asking questions relating to subjects such as Holistic, Naturopathic, Homeopathic, Allopathic Medicine, Alternative etc. Thanks.:confused:

Can you translate the latin phrase "Dum tacet clamat" [ 4 Answers ]

I found the latin phrase "Dum tacet clamat" on a gravestone in San Diego. Can anyone translate it into English for me?:confused:

What country song has the words,"if it wasn't for the bullet,nobody fear the gun"in it [ 1 Answers ]

What country song has the words "if it wasnt for the bullet,nobody would fear the gun" in it?

"what's the big deal?" about using the words "pimped out" in reference to Chelsea? [ 11 Answers ]

Some people dont seem to think it is a big deal. Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern' | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Latin translation for "Friends, we've lost a day." [ 3 Answers ]

"Friends, we've lost a day." to indicate that the group has wasted time

View more questions Search