Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dank Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
    2000 Honda Accord surges on acceleration/load
    I have a 2000 Honda Accord 2.3l 4cyl, 5 speed MT, with 120,000 miles that has been surging under load for a few months now. The car had some worn out suspension parts as well as a bad catalytic converter. I also assumed that the surging was due to a bad inner cv joint or bent axle.

Yesterday I replaced the catalytic converter, both O2 sensors, both cv axles, both tie-rod ends, both ball joint lowers, all four brake rotors and pads, all four spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and verified that the wheel bearings were still good. Some of these parts were due to be replaced, others were visibly worn, and the cv axles were because I thought they were the problem...

Unfortunately the car is still surging. It is especially noticeable on the freeway where it surges at 3,000 RPMs regularly while holding speed. It also surges in other gears and all speeds while accelerating at other RPM ranges besides 3,000.

Any idea what the problem is here?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
    . Replace the Ignition Contol Module and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

. Clean the Idle Air Control Valve:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1054149

Jul 8, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the quick response =) I'll test the ICM right now.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Do you observe erratic rpm fluctuations on your tachometer? If so, reading this link may give you some insight:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post260436

I'm not a real fan of testing ICMs and coils. Yesterday, again, I helped a guy who had his ICM tested at AutoZone--it tested fine but ended up being bad. The mechanic replaced the ICM and the problem was solved. My advice is replace the ICM and coil every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. These are very problematic components.

Jul 8, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    My advice is replace the ICM and coil every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. These are very problematic components.
    Sounds reasonable, I got both the ICM and coil ordered and in the mail now. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 09:30 AM
    A well maintained Accord should last 300,000 miles. Below are some maintenance tips that may help you:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Jul 13, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks txgreasemonkey. Around $100 in parts (ICM and coil) and my car is running like new. Great advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda accord erratic rpm and cutting out under load [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my car. I have a 1990 honda accord ex automatic with 160k. A while ago my tachometer would start fluctiating erratically while driving, and it was determined that the cheap distributor I bought off eBay was probably the problem. I...

2000 Honda Accord LX [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Honda Accord LX. My brake lights are not working. I was in a car accident in 8/2007 and I was rear ended. I had the body of my car worked on. I noticed this week that my brake lights weren't working. I took it back to the body shop because they made some errors in the body work of...

91 honda accord LX surges when idling [ 8 Answers ]

Our 91 honda accord lx has approx 150k miles on it and has been a great car.. . recently my wife noticed when she starts it still in park the rpms will surge when we start going it does it also when we stop at a stoplight etc. I'm thinking it may be the 02 sensor from reading my haynes manual. Just...

View more questions Search