Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3rdparty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Child Support
    My fiancée has a child with his ex (not married) and she has been on public assistance since forever (15 years and counting). Were considering taking Full custoday (court actually encouraging it - mom is unfit), my question is - he has a court order that garnishes his wages every week for the ongoing support and arrears owed (back support). If we get full custody, what will the arrears look like? She will also be 18 in 3 years.

One other question, my fiancée was involved in a car accident and was awarded a $20K, the attorney had said the money went to Child suppport. Which is fine, but the balance is not reflecting this? What happened to the money? Normally when his state and federal taxes are taken, we get a letter saying the monies are going to CS. Not in this case though? What should we do?

What will arrears be after we get full custody or child turns 18?
    What happened to the money that was taken?

Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 07:55 AM
    You need to get an exact accounting from the CS agency and you need to appraise them that the support order may change. He will still have to pay the arrears, but should be able to get the ongoing support ended.

Jul 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You need to get an exact accounting from the CS agency and you need to appraise them that the support order may change. He will still have to pay the arrears, but should be able to get the ongoing support ended.
    Can I just call and get this done or should a lawyer be involved?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 08:14 AM
    YOU can't call, your fiancée has to. But he should be able to call and get the info. It might take some badgering, but he's entitlted to it. If he can't get the info, then he would get a lawyer to put a halt to the automatic deductions until an accounting can be prepared.

Jul 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    YOU can't call, your fiancee has to. But he should be able to call and get the info. It might take some badgering, but he's entitlted to it. If he can't get the info, then he would get a lawyer to put a halt to the automatic deductions until an accounting can be be prepared.
    Thank u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search