Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weedisweedis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Equations, Infinite or no solutions?
    How do you know when an equation has infinitely many solutions? How do you know when an equation has no solution?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 07:22 AM
    I don't believe there is any one answer to your question. It's not too difficult to show whether a system of linear equations has a solution, or an infinite number of them. There are certainly many different techniques that can be brought to bear on different types of equations, but there is no one technique that one can use for all types of equations to determine whether there is a solution, or if there is, whether the solution is unique.
    albybaby689 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 09:52 PM
    a(.09)+b=12490.10
    albybaby689 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 09:56 PM
    a(.09)+b=1249.10
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
    ebaines is right... without a proper idea of what you're talking about, it's hard to explain.

Here's an example though:

an equation with infinite solutions

A + B = 5

... A and B could be ANYTHING, as long as the sum = 5.

an equation with NO solutions

A + B = -2, when both A and B are positive.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albybaby689
    a(.09)+b=1249.10
    Here you have one equation and 2 unknowns. It's easy enough to check whether there is an infinite number of solutions: simply rearrange as:

b = 129.01- a(.09)

From this you can see that you are free to choose any value for a, and you get a corresponding value for b. You basically have a function b(a) = 1249.01 - (.09)a, which would plot on a graph as a linear function with an infinite domain, meaning 'a' can take on any value from minus infinity to positive infinity. Hence there are an infinite number of solutions.
    Rehaan_genius Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 05:50 AM
    one of the answer and the evergreen method to find the solution and the number of solutions is to draw the GRAPH of the given equation. I don't have a link but you must check the method of drawing graphs, you can solve 90% of questions using graph only!
    marso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 07:16 AM
    An example of infinite number of solutions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Using a Linear Equation with infinite solutions to answer a financial [ 3 Answers ]

hi I'm desperately trying to answer this question: 3. A couple has $40,000 to invest. As their financial consultant, you recommend they invest some money in treasury bills that yield 6%, some money in corporate bonds that yield 8%, and some money in junk bonds that yield 10%. Prepare a table...

HP 6L prints only infinite number codes [ 3 Answers ]

I run Windows XP. I have an HP 6L laser printer. It worked fine for me, and the other day I moved it physically. It worked for a few days after the move, then the bottom half of the letters of words printed wasn't matching the top half. Then it just came out in illegible symbols. Is this a...

Infinite series [ 2 Answers ]

I've always liked infinite series. Here's one maybe you'll like to tackle. Not too bad. Find the sum of: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}\cdot{6n}}{e^{2n}} It does converge.

Mathematical Induction/Infinite Series [ 1 Answers ]

How do you prove mathematical induction of infinite series? The objective of this task is to investigate patterns and formulate conjectures about numerical series. Thank you, Ed Adler

View more questions Search