Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oodarkman Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 04:05 AM
    The Business of Music
    I am a personal Manager ad I am thinking about Starting A record lable
    The issue I'm having is how to find endorcemens for my arists and finding the capital to move forward with the plan

Does anyone have any ideas
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 04:14 AM
    For one thing, you are going to have to do some major networking with people that have some money and who will be willing to invest in your venture with some kind of guarantee of a return of money for them also. You're going to need to start on a small scale. Most record companies when they started were small-time ventures.

What kind of music is it that you are going to want to produce, please? It would be helpful to know that. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Hello Clough, thanks for writing back so quickly we deal in R and B mainly I use to sing for motown and now I help develop and Manage upand coming artist the reason I'm lookiung for help is because I am Legally blind so I can't just run out to all the hot spots like many others do But I am always willing to learn from people who have been doing it longer and have some in rodes that may help us to move forward I believe that we have a one of a kind product and would love to be able to take it oversas but we've had some trouble finding decent sources over there plus to be honest we need to make sure that everything is properly structured biz wise
    I have a vision on what we want to do andeven some of the connects but I need a perso who knows how to make sure that everything looks right on paper
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 04:54 AM
    A professionally licensed talent agent would be helpful for you to move forward with your operation. Consulting an attorney who works with performers for legal issues would also be a good idea.

If you used to sing for Motown, then I would assume that you still have some connections there. Correct? If so, then I would suggest connecting with them and networking through them as much as you can.

There are also many places on the Internet where you can have free websites and ads on in order to further the exposure that you would like to have going for your business.

I have a number of small businesses that I run. Most of my business comes from the people that see my websites and the ads that I have on the Internet.

If you have the funds, then you might consider cutting some demo Cd's in order to market them locally and see how they sell.

Are you able to set up venues for the artists that you are trying to represent can perform for the public locally?

Jul 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Well Motown has gone through sokme major changes sense I was last there and I don't know anyone there any more I do have a great Attorney who is helping us put something together but I feel like something is still missingnot sure what it is yet but I know like alwyGod will provide:) We are in the final stages of recording and I am looking for a Booking aget wich can be kind of hard out here although people think that it shouldn't be (CA)

I do like the ideas about the online advertising wha kind of business are you running online?
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 05:17 AM
    I have a number of small businesses that I run. They are mainly service oriented. Piano tuning and repair, furniture refinishing, handyman work, house painting and decorating, professional musician for events, private music lessons on various instruments including voice, etc. Please read my profile for more details.

I have been doing online advertising for free for over three years now.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 05:21 AM
    I also do the online advertising/run the websites for the local men's barbershop singing group that I direct as well as the Quad City Wind Ensemble in which I play string bass and percussion. I also like to advertise online for several ministries in the area.

Jul 8, 2008, 02:23 PM
    You are inded a busy man that sounds a lot like how I work over here rite now I'm running My Entertainment Company as well as my Medical Massage Company:)
    I am very active in the church and I have 2 little ones that love to perform:)

What sites do you find work best for you in promoting your music services?
    And do you use the same ones for your other businesses?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Yes, and perhaps a partner you can take into the business who is wanting to learn the business, They drive you around, you have the contracts.
    But the main issue is getting the contracts to get the peope you sign heard and sold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Based Music Business [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I live in Chicago I have my first client . I have created original music for the project which is a short duration length.I am to present three examples by Monday May 14,2007 what would be a fair charge for my services. I composed, performed, arranged, edited and mixed the compositions...

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? Thanks to all who help me:)

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search