Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jul 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Trying to fix leaky basement walls
    I've had a problem with water coming into my basement (walls are cinder block) that's slowing been getting worse since we bought the house 7 years ago. The outside is pretty good, the ground is graded away from the house and the downspouts are all attached and clean. I scraped and wire brushed the wall, got all the lose paint off and used some cleaner to remove the mold. I applied one coat of Behr waterproofing paint on Saturday and was going to apply the second coat tonight. It started raining on and off today and I can see 3-4 areas low on wall where there's water coming in. All the other places where I noticed it was leaking before I painted all appear to have been sealed. One of the leaking areas is right below/around a metal door to the chimney where the gas line comes in. I opened the door and it looks damp on the inside but I don't see any standing water. There is a rain shield over the top of the chimney. The other areas are 2"-3" off the floor. There are also no visible cracks in the bricks. Do I wait till it drys up and try to put on another coat or is there something else I should try?

Also, I have a double chimney and there are two small access doors in the basement. When I started prepping the wall one of the doors was all rusted out on the bottom and when I tried to open it up the whole thing came off. Can I get a replacement at say Home Depot and what's the best way to secure it in the opening?

Thanks,
    -Jeff
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:33 AM
    I'd like to knoe what paint your using exactly. I like Dryloc.

I believe your not prepping the walls properly. You need to etch the walls with muratic acid or Dryloc etch before painting.

The "mold" your scraping off, id fuzzy is probably efforvescense and is removed by etching.

Chimney door

A brick supply place or online has chimney doors. They are available instainless steel. The door I had was secured with morter. Anchors or masonary screws may also work.

Jul 8, 2008, 04:49 AM
    The paint is Behr Basement and Masonry waterproof paint. It's comparable to UGL's Dryloc but its also mildew resistant. (and costs more) I've always like Behr paints so I gave it a shot.
    Based on what I read on UGL's site, etching is only necessary to remove effervescence, mold can just be removed with a mild bleach solution but I had a lot of it so I chose to buy a cleaner instead. I'll probably pick up some Dryloc etch and clean the few small spots that are still leaking and see if that helps.

I looked this morning and inside the second chimney door (the one that rusted out) is a lot of water and the floor is really wet now so it looks like that's mostly where it's coming in. I have a feeling this is going to get expensive. Even if I replace the door I still have to deal with that water. Any ideas as to what I can do?
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 08:42 AM
    This second chimney door. The one with the water.

What vents into it. A waer heter? A high efficiency furnace?

Jul 8, 2008, 08:52 AM
    I believe it's just the hot water heater, the furnace vents out the side of the house and I'm pretty sure the fireplace on the first floor uses the other chimney.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 11:19 AM
    If it is the hot water heater only, does this have a "liner". A liner is a small tube that goes to the chimney exit that increases the velocity of the draft, such that condensation does not form. i.e. the water heate should exit through this flexible pipe if there is no large appliances exiting here.

When hot water heater exhausts were combined with heater exhausts there wasn't a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky basement shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaky basement shower drain. Is there a way to get the drain out with out taking the shower pan up from the floor

Insulating basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

As per a previous thread I am in process of insulating my basement. I have taken the advice of TerryB with his great link to insulating. I have run into only a little problem I hope. I installed moisture barrier against the cement foundation, wood studded my walls and installed R-12. This was on...

Repairing old basement walls [ 3 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1921 and the basement walls are cement (we think) over stone. The cement is crumbling in patches, and in a few areas, the stone is exposed. The previous owners painted over the cement, but the paint is peeling badly. It looked great three years ago when we moved in, but we...

Basement Walls [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and have conflicting advice on how to wall the floating frame. In the bathroom I would like the wall tiles to go to the floor without the strip (baseboard) that goes around the base of the wall. First is this possible? Second, if possible how is it done? I've been told...

Basement stud walls [ 4 Answers ]

I am beginning the process of finishing our walkout basement. One of the first challenges I have come across in laying out the walls is a number of plumbing and gas lines right at the top of the concrete exterior walls feeding the main and second story. The lines will prevent me from attaching...

View more questions Search