Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ca34787 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I admitted to owing a credit card company now they are asking for a summary judgemen
    I admitted to owing a credit card company now they are asking for a summary judgement. Does this mean they can automatically garnish my husband wages if the summary judgement is granted? Can I ask for the judgement to be vacated even though I owe the company.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
    First how old was the debt ? But to be honest you never admit you owe it, you always challenge them to prove you owe it. To be honest often the collection company does not have the records required to win if you don't admit you owe it. But if they win the judgement is it a joint debt for you and your husband, if so, yes as soon as they get a judgement they can then file for a garnishment ( if allowed in your state) and they can attach your bank accounts.

On what grounds would you ask for it to be vacated, if they have asked for it, you can request a hearing if it is not already granted.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Oops! Who is the defendant? The plaintiff still must prove the amount of the debt, unless you agreed to its allegation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
    They can ask for a summary judgement but you can still go to court. If they do get the judgement, if your husband isn't signed on the card, they can't garnish his wages.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ca34787
    I admitted to owing a credit card company now they are asking for a summary judgement. Does this mean they can automatically garnish my husband wages if the summary judgement is granted? Can I ask for the judgement to be vacated even though I owe the company.

Instead of attempting to vacate the Judgment after it's been granted appear in Court, present your defense and keep them from obtaining the Judgment.

If the Judgment is granted what would your grounds to vacate it be?

In fact, what are your grounds to fight it now?

The company can only collect from the person who actually owes the money - if your husband does NOT owe the money, is not on the card, no, they cannot move against his wages. They CAN move against anything in your name, including any bank accounts held jointly with another person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sued by credit card company [ 3 Answers ]

I'm being sued by a credit card company, is there any other solution I can do without Going to court? Rick

A Credit Card Company is suing me in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I received papers from the sheriff that I am being sued in Pa. It is a credit card that I couldn't afford to pay. The credit card company has the wrong name on the papers, but my address. I am going to deny this is my card. How can I win?

Summons from Credit Card Company [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I live in California. I received a summons from Discover Bank and that account is under a consolidation company. My consolidation agent told me to do NOTHING (do not respond to the summons) and just wait for the judgment, then they will settle the account with Discover Bank. Should I...

Can a credit card company sue the debtor? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I had a $1,500 credit card that I had in 1994 and I paid on it regularly (min payments). In 2001, due to some fiancial difficulties we had to pay one or the other.. our credit cards or mortgage. We went with mortgage. Supposedly our account was written off. After all this time I heard...

Credit Card Company Suing me [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was served this week, capitol one credit card co is suing me for $1200.00 over an account that I have not made payment on in several years, 4 I believe, due to loss of income. I called their attorneys office directly, the ones listed on the legal papers I was served with, but they...

View more questions Search