Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kortniqt54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Evicting roommate, who pays?
    I own my house and rent out a room in it. My roommate has been rude, and late with rent and utilities, I want to evict her. I have given her 45 days notice and she may leave sooner. The agreement we signed when she moved in said "45 days notice of the last renting day will be given by either party to end lease." It's very infomal. My question is: if she leaves early does she pay the rent for 45 days or am I responsible? Thanks.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
    What does the agreement say? If it is silent, then you will have to rely upon state law for termination of tenancy by the tenant. You are entitled to notice, also.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
    She pays but if she doesn't you could possibly be held responsible depending on your very informal lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2008, 07:08 PM
    If you giver her the option of vacating sooner then she doesn't pay after she moves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a roommate [ 7 Answers ]

How can I evict my boyfriend from my house? He is not on the title to the house or the mortgage. He will not leave on his own, so I need to know what I have to do to get him out. I live in Ohio.

Evicting a roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a...

Evicting roommate [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings folks, About 7 months ago, I rented a room in my house to an old friend that recently came back into my life. He had just started a new job, and was looking for a place to stay. I wrote up a month-to-month contract, and he signed it. Terms were $400 a month due at the end of the...

Evicting an adult child who pays rent [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 33 year old disabled man living in my mothers house. The agreement we have is I pay her $750 a month out of my social security check to live here, as rent, to cover expenses. We have no written contract. She is also disabled, with kidney failure. The problem is we do not get along. Our...

View more questions Search