Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennycandi15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 07:05 AM
    1st time home owner w/potential judgment
    My husband and I recently got married and we are in the process of applying for a mortgage. We are both first time home buyers. We are appling for the mortgage jointly, however after the loan officer ran our credit it appeared that I had a judgment on one of my credit reports. Only one of the credit bureaus has a judgment reported (Experian). That same credit bureau has this same item listed as a collection with another company, so it is a duplicate item on my credit report. This judgment apparently occurred in July of 2003. When I went to the county court to obtain the documents there were two names that appeared on the civil judgment documentation that was provided other than mine and my husbands.

I have a few of questions. It is a fairly old judgment, will this affect us during the approval process? Is there a way for me to get this judgment removed from my credit report since it is only listed on my credit report more than once and only listed by one credit bureau? If this judgment is only listed on my credit report, can we put the title in my husband's name only? The lender did say that normally they only consider negative items which occurred in the last 3 years; however they mentioned that we may not be able to get a title with the lien. I don't know if getting approved for a loan and getting are two different process?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Most lenders will not work with a client with judgments on the credit bureau.

They will normally require that they be paid or dismissed before granting a loan approval.

Your husband would be better off getting the mortgage in his name only, unless you can take care of this judgment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2008, 07:58 AM
    I'm not sure what he's referring to about getting a title with the lien. If you are buying sa property your judgement will not have a lien on the property. Its possible they may use the judgement to get a lien, but that's after your close.

Whether an old judgement will affect your qualifying for a loan depends on the lender.

If you want to get rid of the judgement, then pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notify bank about potential judgment exemption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - I am in the initiial stages of responding to a summons - in my answer I am including an affirmative defense that my income is only from civil service retirement, an exemption to garnishment. My question is: Just to be prepared, is it a bad idea to give a letter to my bank where I have...

Will Chapter 7 impact my home / cars / job potential? [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering filing Chapter 7 and hope to get a few questions answered. I will not file if it would impact my home and cars. Basically, I have a significant amount of credit card debt and that, along with mortgage, car payments, student loan payments, and medical bills have put my wife and I...

Moble home repo on private property, not owned by moble home owner [ 3 Answers ]

I am the land owner of some property in Georgia, I let my Sister place her mobile home on this private property. The question is, does the repo company have the right to come on my property and destroy my trees, bust water lines, run over my shrubs etc, be rude and over barring without contacting...

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...

Want to be a home owner [ 4 Answers ]

Please I need an expert to answer this question.Me and my husband have a house together, but we are not getting along right now, I want to leave and separate from him, and get on my own, can I request that he take my name off the house or can he even do that? Because I want to buy a house of my...

View more questions Search