Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intellectualhon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Hook two laptops remote control
    Hi,

I would like have two laptops show the same screen wirelessly. I want to use "the network" but I don't know if that means a portable router card or a phone cards. How do I get the two laptops to talk to each other? It's very important to have the network be wireless because I don't want to trip over the cable. I have used Laplink before.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
    When you say "show the same screen wirelessly," are you referring to having the two laptops share the same desktop, or having both laptops display a program like you would see in conferencing software?

Either way, your best route involves using the Wireless network in your workplace. Any kind of wired connection will defeat the whole wireless goal that you have. Beyond that, I think this is more a software issue than a networking one.

Jul 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Yes, I was referring to hooking up two laptops so that they both share the same desktop. The software that is available Netop or Laplink, use wires. I was hoping to avoid wires. Maybe someone uses phone cards, or network cards.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
    What is your goal? Do you want to remotely control a computer and see and operate software as if you were there? Do you want to view the desktop of one computer from another? Do you want to share files back and forth?

Describe exactly what you want to achieve. Laplink and products like it are for sharing files from one computer to another. This old method was quite slow and required the two computers to be within the same proximity.

With Windows XP/Vista Remote Control and Remote Assistance, you can remotely view and control a computer with a network or Internet connection. Other products such as LogMein Rescue - http://www.logmein.com - you can securely connect to other computers even through routed connections to the Internet.

Jul 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I want to view the desktop and control the desktop of a child in class, from one desktop to another for the purpose of helping the child locate files on the laptop. I don't want wires because the kids trip on them. In addition, it is embarasing and a hassle for the teacher's aide to stand over the computer. If there was a way to help the child from a desktop a little ways away. That's the objective.

But, in my case it is slightly more complicated. I need to demonstrate the assistive technology software to special education directors. I would like this to be wireless too. Is it possible?

Thanks,
    intellectualhonesty

Jul 7, 2008, 04:16 PM
    I've got to agree with chuck on this. Windows Remote Assistance can connect to another computer and allow you to either observe or take control of the computer. This really would be the best option if you are wanting to demonstrate to a child how to do something on their computer without actually being at their computer.

Also SynchronEyes is a pretty good product that we use in the college environment. It actually lets you observe all the desktops of all connected computers simultaneously. You can lock out a single computer or all computers, show a single computer on your screen, and even take control of any one computer.

Jul 7, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Hmmm. In a school or college environment they have lab computers connected to the internet and to networks using routers. What I need is something that connects two laptops without the school's network or internet. I need something that is independent of the school's network because when I am demonstrating, the school complains that I mess up their network.

Jul 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Again, take a look at SynchronEyes. If you're worried about it messing up the school's network, buy a small wireless router from Wal-Mart. SynchronEyes works over both wired and wireless connections.

Jul 8, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Ok, I'll get a router from Wal-Mart and SynchonEyes. This helps me. Thanks. I'd like to go around this summer and see where I get in the fall, when all the middle school kids with dyslexia hit the proverbial educational wall.

intellectualhon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

How to change ceiling fan remote batteries on a hamilton bay remote control unit [ 3 Answers ]

Before I break the darn thing, can you tell me if the back panel comes off or if I have to unscrew the top and bottom screws?

Remote Control [ 3 Answers ]

I Purchased A Hampton Bay Fan From Home Depot In Lethbridge, Ab. Canada And Dropped The Remote It Doesn't Work And They Can't Seem To Help Me Locate A New One. It Is A Redington 11 52" Ceiling Fan The Number On The Back Of The Remote Is 012521 I'm Wondering If You Could Help Me Out Thanks Bob...

Hampton Bay Remote hook up to a Hunter fan. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a Hampton Bay remote to a Hunter Fan. What is the correct wiring procedure? :confused:

View more questions Search