Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oespanhol1 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
    May the spouse of a EU citizen remain in a EU country with him or her?
    May the non EU citizen spouse of an EU citizen remain in an EU country with (or without) him or her indefinitely?. If not, what need or can be done so the non EU citizen spouse may if at all?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 12:02 PM
    It depends.......

Normally, in case the non Eu spouse has not become naturalized, he/she can obtain dependent visa based on the principle EU spouse. This status will end if the couple divorce.

If the non EU citizen become naturalized based on marriage, divorce has no effect on legal status.

This could be different in countries where domestic partnership is accepted, check with immigration lawyer in that country.

expatdude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
    This area of law is governed by a combination of European Union and national laws. Spouses of EU partners don't need work permits, but the extent of their rights may depend on whether they are a national of the country where they want to bring the partner.

The principle of derivative rights is often a concern for partners. Essentially, though, it means that your work permission rights may be derived from your partner or spouse.

For example, if a Costa Rican wants to move to France and find a job, he will have to get a work permit or some other kind of work permission. If the same person is married to a French woman or another European Union national, then he doesn’t have to get any additional paperwork beyond a regular residency permit as the spouse of a local or EU national. This is because the spouse has an automatic right to find work on the basis of their citizenship. Under French and EU law, this is then transferable to the married partner as well.

Even if your spouse is not an EU national, if they have work permit, you may also be covered by that same permission under some local laws.
    Blackwave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by expatdude View Post
    This area of law is governed by a combination of European Union and national laws. Spouses of EU partners don't need work permits, but the extent of their rights may depend on whether or not they are a national of the country where they want to bring the partner.

The principle of derivative rights is often a concern for partners. Essentially, though, it means that your work permission rights may be derived from your partner or spouse.

For example, if a Costa Rican wants to move to France and find a job, he will have to get a work permit or some other kind of work permission. If the same person is married to a French woman or another European Union national, then he doesn’t have to get any additional paperwork beyond a regular residency permit as the spouse of a local or EU national. This is because the spouse has an automatic right to find work on the basis of their citizenship. Under French and EU law, this is then transferable to the married partner as well.

Even if your spouse is not an EU national, if they have work permit, you may also be covered by that same permission under some local laws.
    Calling on all lawyers or the law-savvy!! Hi. I'm having some issues at the moment... I'm South-African, my wife is French and we live in the UK. My application for residency is currently with the UK Border Agency (EEA4). My employer has just undergone an audit to ensure that all employees are legally allowed to work in the UK. Now without a visa or passport I am currently being seen as an illegal... So my question is: Surely my marriage to my French wife is enough proof that I am legally allowed to work in ANY EU country? Surely my application for residency has nothing to do with my right to work in the UK but more with the right to become a resident, no? If there is a law that states that I can automatically work anywhere in the EU by rights of being married to an EU national, can somebody quote it in their reply please?
    katecote Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Check this. http://www.visa-office.com/non_euro_partner.html
    You may get a working permit in the UK, as an spouse of an EU citizen. But you have to ask for it. Is not just automatically granted.
    rezaan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 01:25 AM
    I just married a rech person but I am south african .will I be able to enter the united kingdom if my wife is doi her studies there, would I be able to leave south africa and go straght o the uk are would I have to go to france first.. Can anyone help me with this one
    fugidabr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Hi I'm brazilian and married to a italian citizen and we live in the UK, We've been married for over four years now and I have a visa as a spouse of EU citizen that expires in 2012, unfortunaly we came to a decision to separate but we are not going to divorce just yet, so I want to know how do I stand now, are they intitle to deport me or cancel my visa because of the separation or do they have to wait for the divorce?
    If I travel are they allowed refuse my entry because I'm no physicly with my husband at the time?
    fugidabr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Hi I'm brazilian and married to a italian citizen and we live in the UK, We've been married for over four years now and I have a visa as a spouse of EU citizen that expires in 2012, unfortunaly we came to a decision to separate but we are not going to divorce just yet, so I want to know how do I stand now, are they intitle to deport me or cancel my visa because of the separation or do they have to wait for the divorce?
    If I travel are they allowed refuse my entry because I'm no physicly with my husband at the time?
    otesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fugidabr View Post
    Hi I'm brazilian and married to a italian citizen and we live in the UK, We've been married for over four years now and i have a visa as a spouse of EU citizen that expires in 2012, unfortunaly we came to a decision to separate but we are not going to divorce just yet, so i want to know how do i stand now, are they intitle to deport me or cancel my visa because of the separation or do they have to wait for the divorce?
    If i travel are they allowed refuse my entry because i'm no physicly with my husband at the time?
    Answer:samething with me but according to letter i received from home office they said if your family member decides to leave the uk,or ceases to exercise treaty rights,or if you cease to be a family member,you would have to qualify to remain in uk in your own

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

You.S. Citizen Filing with J1 Visa Spouse [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I were married on Dec. 20, 2006. She entered the country in January 2006 on a J1 Visa, and she earned a nominal income working as an Au Pair. We are in the process to changing her status to Permanent Legal Resident, but I'm not sure how we should do our 2006 taxes (file jointly? Claim...

England: can non-citizen re-enter the country? [ 1 Answers ]

Hay I'm citizen of england and my boyfriend isn't we want to go to a vacation together out of england will the immigration let him in back or not or do I need to talk with someone before because his visa is going to end in march thanks

US citizen working in foreign country and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

For a US citizen working as a contractor in foreign country for a US company, does he/she needs a 1099 from the US company? Amount is over $600.

View more questions Search