Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenio22 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
    My mom
    Hi, I want to be able to find my bio mom but I only know her first name- any ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:03 PM
    You will need a lot more than that, have you talked to your mom and dad that adopted you, often they will have some of the original adoption paper work, Have you asked if their attorneys have any available information. Is it a closed adoption ? Have you wrote a letter to be put on file at the county courthouse where your birth certificate records are sealed ( if they are sealed)

How many of the dozens of adoption web sites have you posted your info

Jul 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Well I have tried many websites but I don't know my bio last name there isn't much help. I can ask my adoptive parents but I don't want to hurt their feelings... its complicated I guess.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:20 PM
    I think they will probably be more understanding than you think. Just let them know that they are your real parents, you just want to know where you came from. And if they don't understand that, just tell them that you want to know more about your medical history and your likelihood for certain diseases... and passing them on. That was the excuse my half-sister used to get her father's info from our mother.

But remember, try not to get your hopes up too much, because it could be disappointing.

Jul 6, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Well I found out the county and a few other things where I was born from my adoptive mom. But not too much I will see what I can find, thanks for your help :)
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
    You can go to the hospitals in that county and see if they will give you last names to everyone born on your birthday with your first name in that hospital.

Jul 6, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Yeah but there are like 12 in the area and I have no clue where to start! Ahhhh!
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
    I would suggest getting more information from your adoptive parents then.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenio22
    yeah but there are like 12 in the area and i have no clue where to start!! ahhhh!
    Start with the first one, then go to the second one, and then go... No one told you this would be a walk in the park. There's a book available at the library or through interlibrary loan--How to find anyone anywhere. Request it for more ideas?

Jul 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Thanks, I am trying to go through as many as I can in the county because I do not know the name of the hospital, which would help A LOT. But my adoptive parents are looking for the names and whatnot right now... so we'll see I am going to continue my search!!
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:53 PM
    How old were you when you were adopted? What sort of adoption was it? These things are very important. Also, how old are you? If it was through an agency, go to the agency and see what information they are able to give you.

Jul 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Okay I was 2 when I was adopted. My bio mom had me in tx and my bio dad was in prison so his rights were automatically taken away. My adop. Mom babysat me through chasi (which helps out people who do have enough money for daycare so they help through the govt. ) so they babysat me, and then she moved away and I went with her. She then calls my adop. Parents from tx saying my bio g-pa got arrested and she didn't want me anymore. Sooooo they went to tx to get me and they finalized the adoption before I was 3. it wasn't through an agency but through lawyers. I have found more information on her so hopefully this will get a lot more easier. And I am 22 now.
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 07:09 PM
    So, you can search the hospitals for birthdate and first name. It's going to be arduous, but definitely not impossible.

Jul 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Yeah just every website I go to with info for the hosp. there is nothing I can find to help me... I feel lost.
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Go to the hospital and ask to talk to the hr department and go from there.
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
    It may be a fun field trip, bring a friend.

Jul 6, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Yeah, my boyfriend is very supportive of this. But it is I think going to be a loooong journey.
    Vision Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Most likely, I wish you all the best on that journey. Make sure to keep us updated!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenio22
    yeah but there are like 12 in the area and i have no clue where to start!! ahhhh!
    What would it hurt to get a hold of all twelve?;) Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search