gsanfelice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Breaking lease
    What is the law on breaking a lease early due to relocating for a job
    gsanfelice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gsanfelice
    What is the law on breaking a lease early due to relocating for a job
    What is the law on breaking a lease early due to relocated for a job?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 11:54 AM
    It depends on your state, but most likely there is no law. If your lease doesn't contain any provision for it, and if you're not a member of the military, then job relocation will not get you out of being responsible for the remainder of your lease.

Tell us where you're located and we can look it up. Or you can go to the sticky post at the top of the Real Estate Law forum and there you'll find the links to landlord/tenant laws for all of the states.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
    You are obligated to the terms of your lease, normally you will have to continue to pay the lease until the landlord finds a new renter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Breaking a lease, va [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am trying to break a lease 5 months early. My landlord has been trying to sell the house in hopes we could both benefit. However, his price and the house condition don't mesh. The house has been on the market for 4 months--kept up by me. I understand I am liable for lost rent if I break the...

Stipulations in a lease vs. Law when breaking a lease [ 8 Answers ]

I'm breaking a lease with my landlord 6 months in (I'm moving out of the country). I've found someone to take over the lease immediately upon my departure. I informed my landlord 5 weeks prior to the point where I'd be breaking the lease. The landlord has (three weeks later) informed me that they...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search